1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Manual Log Splitter?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Jim Ignatowski, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Jim Ignatowski

Jim Ignatowski New Member

Loc:
    New York
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good manual hydraulic log splitter? If anyone has had a good experience with one of these, I'd be interested in knowing the manufacturer and model. Thanks in advance.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Slow work. Very slow.

Edit: You could make one using a bottle jack but again, way too slow to be worthwhile.
  3. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN
    If you consider your arms to be hydraulic in a way, then I'd suggest a maul.

:)
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Sledge and wedge will get what the maul doesn't. A few wedges go a long way.

Matt
    Thistle likes this.
  5. Jim Ignatowski

Jim Ignatowski New Member

Loc:
    New York
  6. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    After watching the guy in the video operate that thing, there's no way I can see that being easier on the back than any other manual method. He looked as though he was in a very awkward position and despite him swinging each arm at a pretty good clip, was taking forever and then some to split that small piece of wood.

I'd pass.

With good form, and not getting all crazy and trying to swing an axe at 200%, and pacing the amount of work done at a given time, there is no reason doing it should hurt anyone.

My father has had back surgery and several vertebrae fused. When swinging appropriately (and not out of his shoes) splitting wood for 45mins to an hour will actually help to loosen him up and make his back feel better.

Just use an appropriate pace.

pen
    Thistle likes this.
  7. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    You don't have to swing a sledge anywhere near as hard as you do a maul. I pretty much just let it fall. Let the weight on the end of a stick do the work.

Matt
    Thistle likes this.
  8. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    Get an electric splitter. No gasoline, no fumes, minimal noise, small and light. I seriously doubt that you would be able to split much wood with a manual hydraulic splitter unless you have nothing else to do. I've been using one of these for 4 years (and sharing it with a friend),
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...&keyword=wood splitter electric&storeId=10051

we each burn about 5 cords/year, it's been a real workhorse. Thinking about buying another so we don't have to haul it back and forth.
    pen likes this.
  9. Larry in OK

Larry in OK Member

Loc:
    NE Oklahoma
    For the most part I agree with you. My iffy back and torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders and ruptured tendon in the right shoulder and all the scar tissue in the right knee didn't come from splitting wood but they can slow a fellow down some.

If I'd have know I was gonna live this long I'd have taken better care of myself as a young man.
  10. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Damn, that's a list! A real rough list.

I'm still of the thinking that manual splitter isn't going to do you a bit of good, and agree with MrWhoopee that an electric splitter would be your best low cost helper.

pen
  11. salmonhunter

salmonhunter Burning Hunk

Loc:
    newbrunswick canada