Manual Log Splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have that exact one from Harbor freight and it does about what you would expect.....biggest problem that I have is the travel on the ram is kinda short so sometimes you have to take the log off and finish it with a maul. Overall....it is better than nothing on those tough to split pieces.

I have a manual splitter called the mean green splitting machine. It's different than the one in the link you posted. I found that I end up using it for more of a time saver than anything else. It is also good for making kindling. I have used it on some tough logs, but ultimately I found I'm better able to split the tough ones by hand. Being 6'5" & 230#...I can generate some good force with my 8lb maul or my sledge and wedge.
The concept is that you have a wedge mounted on a pole, that is attached to the base. The wedge moves up and down the pole to allow you to get a piece of wood under it. On top of the wedge is a smaller diameter pole with a 7 pound weight that slides up and down that pole. Once you have positioned your log under the wedge, you slide the weight up the thinner pole and "throw" it down toward the log. Sounds goofy (I know) but this thing actually splits wood very well. The thing I like about it is that you have total control over where you start the wedge.
That being said...this unit is not something that will handle all of your "tough to split" pieces. But for splitting wood "in general" it speeds things up for me without having to swing the maul, and I can "size" my splits the way I want them. Plus...it eliminates the need to balance the split on the splitting block, which sometimes takes a couple tries. This unit would be ideal for someone with back, shoulder, neck, etc... problems that would prevent them from swinging a maul.
All in all (IMO) this is a good product that works as advertised.

hth,

joel

Status
Not open for further replies.