Manual Mode on usstove pellet stove 5510

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharon62361

Dec 22, 2008
USA
We bought a Usstove pellet stove 5510 a couple of days ago and have had nothing but problems. We have cleaned it out twice in 2 days. The pot keeps filling up with ash and overflowing and the window keeps turning black. We have checked all of the ways air can get in and it can't. We don't know what to do. We would like to us the manual mode but we can't figure that out either. The Manual doesn't have anything about it other then you can use it. We tried and nothing happens. If anyone can help us out please help.

OK, Can you tell us if the stove was properly installed (professionally or by an amateur) And how the stove is vented? And what type and size vent pipe you used. Also helpful would be the length, number of elbows,etc and the configuration

Where do you live? Could be someone with some pellet stove knowledge on the forums here lives close by and could offer some help.
I know I`d be willing to help someone in my area diagnose his problem.

My husband installed it along with my neighbor. He has installed them before. The exhaust hole is on the bottom of the unit and we had to use an elbow to bring it up a couple of feet and then another to turn it to the wall and outside. My husband bought the exhaust kit from the place that we bought the stove. I think they are 3 inch pipes. Maybe 4. They go out the wall to the outside and then he has the cap that was supplied that has holes for the exhaust. I attempted to supply a little graph below that shows the elbows on the inside. We live in Northeast Texas. I will take a picture tomorrow and attach it tomorrow of the inside and the outside. I have enclosed a picture of the burn pot. It is full of ash that has clumped up. Also you will notice that it is around the pot and on the side and from of the thing that holds the pot. Thank you for your help.

=
l
=

Attachments

• 100_01434.jpg
    100_01434.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 746
Hopefully someone with a similar stove or problem will chime in to help.
Can you tell us what the fire (flame) looks like when it is burning. Are the burned pellets flying out of the burnpot? They should be (popcorn effect)
The poor burn could be a lack of combustion air due to a restriction or a restricted exhaust vent (too many elbows,etc., or quite possibly the combustion fan isn`t running.

Seemingly, there aren`t many US stove co. users here but it might be helpful for you to contact them since your stove should be under warranty:

US Stove Co.
227 Industrial Park
S. Pittsburg, TN
1-800-750-2723

I have a US Stove 5500 and also initially had so many problems with it that sent it back for a replacement unit. They sent me the newer version 5510 which had some improvements (ash tray) and now that I know this stove it works pretty well for me. The main issue is the manual is not very good and depending on who you get for support they will tell you all sorts of diffetrent things that in the long run can really cause more trouble. The basic problem with this stove is knowing how to use it. Forget about auto mode--in my experience the burn pot would fill up quickly with any heating setting 2 or higher. I personally just leave the heat setting on 1 all the time and adjust the feed rate of the pellets as my main source of adjusting heat output. I also like to keep the draft fan at a level of 2 or higher (the higher the pellet feed rate the higher the draft setting). I find that this tends to keep the flame more aggressive and less lazy and it tens to help keep the burnpot from filling up by blowing away the ash. Still though I need to remove and clean the burnpot every 2-3 days and it seems that there is a design issue with this burnpot. The holes on the bottom of the pot (to let the ashes fall through) is less then an inch away from the floor of the stove so the ash quickly fills up and then blocks all the holes at the bottom of the pot. It makes absolutly no sense unless I am missing something?

Also, when that pot fills up and you shutdown the stove well lets just say the stove does not give enough time for the ambers to burn out and as part of the shutdown sequence the stove releases some pellets into the burnpot (for the next startup I suspect) but oftern the ambers are still glowing and now you have a smoldering mess and the stove starts smoking. I need to cal US Stove on this to see if there is a timer adjustment for the shutdown mode.

I think you should start at adjusting the feed rate and draft fan speed and go from there. Start at a low feed rate (say 1.25 lbs per hour or less) and a draft fan speed of 2 and see if the pot stays level. You may want to increase your draft fan speed if you have alot of elbows in your exhaust piping. I also poke the burn pot twice a day just to break up any ash that may have formed as clinkers.

sharon62361 said:
How do you take it off of the auto model? We can't figure that out.

ya that was my problem to at first. The auto/manual button does nothing. At first I thought when you put it in manual mode the light should turn red--well it doesn't. To put it in manual mode you just need to adjust anything (room blower, draft fan) to anything but A.

As a baseline try having everything at level one --heat setting, room blower and draft fan and then adjust from there to fit your needs to keep that burn pot from filling up so fast. the 2 settings I adjust most are draft and the fuel feed rate.

Also, to adjust the fuel fed rate press the heat down arrow and the AUX down arrow at the same time . This should get you to the hourly feed rate and the defualt is 1.75 Lbs per hour.

The man in another helpful answer said that the pellets should pop. Mine don't. Should they pop. I also have the problem like you have. Where the ash goes when it leaves the little pot. There seems to be a build up and I don't understand why it has a ash tray if there is no way for the ash to get there. What were they thinking. My heat does not seem to be real hot. We like our stove so far but I got it because we didn't like the wood stove and not we are having to clean this out every day.....ALso my husband wants to know if the draft fan should run continuiously or does it cycle on and off?

sharon62361 said:
The man in another helpful answer said that the pellets should pop. Mine don't. Should they pop. I also have the problem like you have. Where the ash goes when it leaves the little pot. There seems to be a build up and I don't understand why it has a ash tray if there is no way for the ash to get there. What were they thinking. My heat does not seem to be real hot. We like our stove so far but I got it because we didn't like the wood stove and not we are having to clean this out every day.....

ya exactly---I don't know why they designed the burnpot that way. It's basically useless as the burnpot ash is confined to that small area and not the whole ash tray???? If you get in touch with support please let me know if they have an answer. I called there so many times that I gave up with them, but maybe you can get better results. I don't know what he means by "pop" but mine don't as far as I can tell. I have a few that bounce out of the burnpot, but it's not excessive at the feed rate levels that I use.

I basically use this stove between feed rates 1-1.75 (depending on temp) and let the oil system back it up. I cannot use the higher setting as I experience the same issue (burn pot fill up way to quickly) at higher heat levels.

My husband just called and wants to know if the draft fan should run continuiously or does it cycle on and off? I told him I was talking with someone with the same problems. When he gets home we are going to try the manual mode. I sure would like my husband to talk to you. If I give you my email address would you email me your phone number. I would give you mine but I don't want you to have long distance charges. If you would like mine instead I will add it in the email. I will call you later on when my husband gets home. I am not a stalker or anything just someone who needs help with this stove. No one I have talked to knows what is going on and we can't seem to get through to the 1-800-750-2723. It keeps saying that the call did not go through and to check the number and try again. My email address is [email protected] Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.