Manual Reset High Limit Aquastat always tripping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
New wood boiler user online and I know I have a learning curve with the operation. I've been lighting small fires in the Econoburn 100. It's operation alone has been pretty good so far. But, it's interface with the existing oil boiler has left us waking up to a cold house in the morning.

For some reason, the manual reset high limit aquastat on the oil boiler keeps going off. I have a thermal switch strapped to the supply line of the wood boiler to cut power to the oil boiler. The aquastat seems to trip just before the thermal switch is satisfied, whenever the oil boiler is still providing heat. I manually reset and it must have tripped overnight (assuming the same temperature range just as the wood boiler cools down and the thermal switch restores power to the oil boiler).

I have the HL aquastat set to 230degF. Is it possible that it sees these temps during the time period described above?

What is the operating aquastat temperature on the EBW set at?
How are the two boilers connected?
Are you pumping directly from the EBW to the oil boiler or is there storage in the system somewhere?

No Storage. I've been setting the water temperature to 185 degF. The two boilers are connected like the attached pdf schematic. However, I'm using a thermal switch instead of a L4006A aquastat (system note C on schematic). I don't know how reliable the thermal switch is but I have a temperature gauge right adjacent to the switch and it seems to interrupt oil boiler power around 160degF.

Attachments

• Schematic.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 682
I removed the thermal switch and replaced it with an aquastat. Fully operational now.

Status
Not open for further replies.