Manual tools only

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
old school 6lb maul with curved wooden axe handle. Hands down winner for cheapest and best at the same time.

honestly the X27 is much much easier to use with the side slabbing technique, but the bigger maul is just straight up fun, even if using the flat side to hammer a wedge. I just need to watch it because my elbows end up killing me. I have the copper sleeves that help but I never remember to put them on for some reason.

I have the same Stihl maul, but only use it now when my Fiskars X27 doesn't cut it. I see it as one of the best mauls I've owned, especially for the price I paid some years ago.

I guess it depends on each persons situation, but I have a heavier maul which wears me out in a short period of time and the older you get the harder it is to use it. These days, I use my log splitter mostly, but there are times when it is much quicker and less straining to just split by hand. I have no doubt that the Fiskars & Stihl splitters are great, but I believe there are some cheaper options that generally work pretty good if you are on a budget. I bought the Husky splitting axe (under $40) and it has really worked well for me. When splitting oak, unless there is a major knot, one blow and it is split. With the lighter weight, it doesn't wear me out like a 6-8 pound maul would.