Manual Wood Splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screw that... try this :coolgrin:

Mike's 27 ton splitter

(seriously though, a manual splitter is a beast if you are splitting any large quantity of wood, I've tried.)

-- Mike

Attachments

• Splitter.JPG
    Splitter.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 585
My manual splitter weighs 8 pounds and is attached to a wooden handle.

HI Eric,

Mine is 3 pounds and attached to a plastic handle!!!

Carpniels

PS. Do all mauls have a straight handle? I was looking at one in a local store and the fiberglass handle was straight (without the lip at the end of the handle). I am afraid that if I buy one and start swinging that I will get tired soon. And when I get tired, I cannot hold on to a straight handle well. I love the lip at the bottom of my current axe, since it prevent the axe from slipping out of my hand when I don't grip it tight enough (like when I am getting tired). What does yours have?

Hey Carpniels,

I've got both kinds, actually. My 8-pounder takes a sledge hammer handle, so the hole in the maul head is round (more or less) and the handle is straight.

Some heavy mauls take a beefed-up straight axe handle. I have an eight-pounder like that.

My 6-pound maul just takes a regular, curved axe handle. Sounds like that's what you've got.

It really depends on the hole in the maul head and how heavy it is. If you try to put a conventional wooden axe handle on an 8-pound maul, it won't last very long. The same handle on a six-pounder will last a good long time.

Used to be you could get factory reject handles at the Boonville show for $2.50 each. I guess the guy who supplied them died, so no more cheap handles.

Mike Wilson said:
Screw that... try this :coolgrin:

Mike's 27 ton splitter

(seriously though, a manual splitter is a beast if you are splitting any large quantity of wood, I've tried.)

-- Mike

Mike
How do you like you Troybilt splitter.Have you run into any thing it wll not split......TC

TC

Nothing, and I mean literally nothing, has stopped this splitter. I have used it to split stumps of Elm that I had to bear-hug onto the splitter, and they split. Mind you, I was hiding behind the splitter when I did this, because I have had this thing split rounds and blow both halves across the driveway. Scarey as hell. Its taken 3 foot rounds of Locust, and made nice splits out of them. Knots are not a problem. I am completely amazed. I was cautious at first, but after a few days I just hid behind the splitter and let the hydraulics take care of things. As for the rest of it, the splitter has a Honda 5.5HP motor, is well built, and legally trailerable. Plus, I have received at least a few hundred dollars in free beer just by lending it to friends.

I tried the manual splitters, and yeah, they work, kinda. But when I had a couple of cord to split, and didn't want to bust my a$$, this was the way to go. Not cheap, but tons of fun!

-- Mike

I have the same splitter. Love it. While it is technically trailerable, I am very cautious about towing it. There is no axle. The wheels are welded to the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Run over a couple potholes and you'll be leaving a trail of hydraulic fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.