1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Manual Wood Splitters

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by WarmGuy, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    Screw that... try this :coolgrin:

Mike's 27 ton splitter

(seriously though, a manual splitter is a beast if you are splitting any large quantity of wood, I've tried.)

-- Mike

Attached Files:

3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    My manual splitter weighs 8 pounds and is attached to a wooden handle.
  4. carpniels

carpniels Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Rome, NY, USA
    HI Eric,

Mine is 3 pounds and attached to a plastic handle!!!

Carpniels

PS. Do all mauls have a straight handle? I was looking at one in a local store and the fiberglass handle was straight (without the lip at the end of the handle). I am afraid that if I buy one and start swinging that I will get tired soon. And when I get tired, I cannot hold on to a straight handle well. I love the lip at the bottom of my current axe, since it prevent the axe from slipping out of my hand when I don't grip it tight enough (like when I am getting tired). What does yours have?
  5. scfa99

scfa99 New Member

Loc:
    New Jersey, USA
    Wrap some duck tape on the end, ala a hockey stick.
  6. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Hey Carpniels,

I've got both kinds, actually. My 8-pounder takes a sledge hammer handle, so the hole in the maul head is round (more or less) and the handle is straight.

Some heavy mauls take a beefed-up straight axe handle. I have an eight-pounder like that.

My 6-pound maul just takes a regular, curved axe handle. Sounds like that's what you've got.

It really depends on the hole in the maul head and how heavy it is. If you try to put a conventional wooden axe handle on an 8-pound maul, it won't last very long. The same handle on a six-pounder will last a good long time.

Used to be you could get factory reject handles at the Boonville show for $2.50 each. I guess the guy who supplied them died, so no more cheap handles.
  7. TCintheOzarks

TCintheOzarks Member

Mike
    How do you like you Troybilt splitter.Have you run into any thing it wll not split......TC
  8. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    TC

Nothing, and I mean literally nothing, has stopped this splitter. I have used it to split stumps of Elm that I had to bear-hug onto the splitter, and they split. Mind you, I was hiding behind the splitter when I did this, because I have had this thing split rounds and blow both halves across the driveway. Scarey as hell. Its taken 3 foot rounds of Locust, and made nice splits out of them. Knots are not a problem. I am completely amazed. I was cautious at first, but after a few days I just hid behind the splitter and let the hydraulics take care of things. As for the rest of it, the splitter has a Honda 5.5HP motor, is well built, and legally trailerable. Plus, I have received at least a few hundred dollars in free beer just by lending it to friends.

I tried the manual splitters, and yeah, they work, kinda. But when I had a couple of cord to split, and didn't want to bust my a$$, this was the way to go. Not cheap, but tons of fun!

-- Mike
  9. johnnytugs1

johnnytugs1 New Member

Loc:
    jackson, n.j.
    and free beer, niceeeeeee!
  10. SeanD

SeanD New Member

I have the same splitter. Love it. While it is technically trailerable, I am very cautious about towing it. There is no axle. The wheels are welded to the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Run over a couple potholes and you'll be leaving a trail of hydraulic fluid.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.