Manufactured home fireplace replacement complete! Big thanks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twolfe278

Aug 9, 2016
Southern Indiana
Had the first fire last weekend when it was 80 outside. That's what months of anticipation will do. I still have some trim work left.

Can't thank ya'll enough for the enormous amount of info and advice. Overall the install went smooth. Most of the time was me quadruple-checking every step. I tend to do that, especially when it involves fire.

Now we just need fall to arrive like normal! These 80+ days are ridiculous.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on using reclaimed oak boards for my support box trim since the hole left in the ceiling is larger that trim provided. Think it is ok to leave the insulation around outside of box within the ceiling?

Insulation is fine around the box. The box will maintain proper clearance.

That's quite an improvement! Very nice

Insulation is fine around the box. The box will maintain proper clearance.

That's quite an improvement! Very nice

I thought my installer said to not have any insulation touching the ceiling box.

Thanks Webby! It's been a long few months. I've got plenty of locust, oak, cherry, and soft maple seasoned, stacked and waiting.

The AC is currently running..._g

Enjoying the first real fire on the new Lopi Endeavor. So far so good. We are really enjoying it this evening. Didn't take long to warm up burning some soft maple. Insurance man even gave it the OK last week. I believe we will be warm and happy for years to come. Thanks again everyone for all the help on this project. Definitely could not have done it without your help! Cheers!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job! I live in near Graysville Indiana. Am I close to you?

Well done. Looks great!

Looking good, Twolfe...and warm! Nice work. :)
I've never even heard of graysville ccmac
I bet you've heard of Grayville...IL. ==c Looks like ccmac is pretty close to Terre Haute. I see there are a couple fireplace shops there but it's unclear if they carry wood stoves. He's got PE stoves... I figured you were near E'ville when I saw your other thread, "Lopi vs. Enerzone." I stopped at the stove shops last week. I like the Enerzones..value stoves with a couple nice upgrades like the replaceable door latch, and they look pretty well built. You pay a bit more for the Lopis but it's hard to beat their tube stoves. Good choice! Keep us updated...and take more pics! >>
Now we just need fall to arrive like normal! These 80+ days are ridiculous
Unbelievable that you were able to get enough draft to try out your stove, as warm as it was. It's finally cooled off enough to where we have needed a couple fires, and the next two nights look downright chilly. Looks like we're gonna get a nice, long fall though, and I got no problem with that...nice wood-gettin' weather! ==c
I've got plenty of locust, oak, cherry, and soft maple seasoned, stacked and waiting.
Pretty dry? How long has it been stacked? Looks like it's burning OK...no hissing or bubbling out the ends? It wasn't the best wood-drying summer, with all the rain and humidity. <>
That wood-splittin' guy in your avatar pic must be pretty tough for his age, swinging that Monstah Maul! ;) ;lol

Looking good, Twolfe...and warm! Nice work. :) I bet you've heard of Grayville...IL. ==c Looks like ccmac is pretty close to Terre Haute. I see there are a couple fireplace shops there but it's unclear if they carry wood stoves. He's got PE stoves... I figured you were near E'ville when I saw your other thread, "Lopi vs. Enerzone." I stopped at the stove shops last week. I like the Enerzones..value stoves with a couple nice upgrades like the replaceable door latch, and they look pretty well built. You pay a bit more for the Lopis but it's hard to beat their tube stoves. Good choice! Keep us updated...and take more pics! >>
Unbelievable that you were able to get enough draft to try out your stove, as warm as it was. It's finally cooled off enough to where we have needed a couple fires, and the next two nights look downright chilly. Looks like we're gonna get a nice, long fall though, and I got no problem with that...nice wood-gettin' weather! ==c
Pretty dry? How long has it been stacked? Looks like it's burning OK...no hissing or bubbling out the ends? It wasn't the best wood-drying summer, with all the rain and humidity. <>
That wood-splittin' guy in your avatar pic must be pretty tough for his age, swinging that Monstah Maul! ;) ;lol

I've been planning and evaluating this install for over a year, esp for manufactured home ... I tend to overthink, which in a wood stove install I suppose is good. I have a VC intrepid ii (1990 I believe) I installed in my 20x30 barn last winter. It is outstanding. So I had a A LOT of 12-14" splits cut from my dozens of soft maple trees that are begging to be burnt (CSS Jan. 15.) I also have the locust,etc. that was dead and stacked ~1year. Pretty sure it's good, I hope! If not I'll have a soft maple kinda winter. I plan on checking the new chimney on thanksgiving. I am a bit concerned on the low burns building up creosote, as i have noticed a bit of buildup on inside back of stove. My main worries are my 2 little buddies in diapers. Have to make sure they are sleeping in a safe environment. They are the reason I Quadruple check everything.

And yes I know Grayville IL quite well! Have family there.

Last edited:
You might see a little creo in the box but long as you are getting a good secondary burn, not much should be making it into the chimney. If you're trying to find your driest wood, Harbor Freight has a moisture meter for about $15, I think. Re-split a few splits and test. But you should know if anything you put in the stove is real wet...it will bubble water out the ends of the splits. Might be a crap shoot on the Locust, but that soft Maple is pretty dry by now, for sure.

I'm ahead on my wood but still use the meter when I'm cutting. I get mostly dead trees, and if the upper branches test pretty dry, that wood may go into next year's stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.