Many Thanks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forester

Nov 25, 2010
NW Montana
On Monday (today is Thursday) I purchased an older Lopi insert (similar in size at least to a revere) and today thanks to all the guidance found on this site, I woke up, fired up confidently and have had rolling, dancing fire going now for almost two hours. The last two days I have been off work and staring and constantly fiddling with this insert to figure all this out. I feel like in two days I have learned what would take two months or more on my own, and with the last two days being the coldest of the year (-7F to 10F) it was very timely with my old drafty house. Considering that I had no idea what a secondary burn or bypass damper was when I bought this thing, I think it has gone well.

Anyhow, this time I lit a nice kindling fire between two split logs, then slowly added for 10 min, I then gave the fire about 15 minutes with the door slightly ajar, then closed the door, then after another 15 min I closed the bypass, then after about 20-30 minutes I heard the fan kick on and I walked over and shut the airflow down to almost closed, and it has been cranking along nicely since. I am burning dry douglas fir and western larch that I collected in summer 2009. I think I will need to re-split my wood pile since 5-6 smaller pieces seems to do much better than 2 or 3 larger ones. The insert itself was found on craigslist and is probably from the 80's, but I don't know the model or manufacture date, for size it is similar to the revere I guess. If anyone recognizes it let me know. Either way, it was huge upgrade from the old "smoke dragon" I was running that came with the house, and I look forward to getting this all figured out over the long winter ahead.

At this point, I still need to figure out the best setting for night to prevent smoldering and glass door fouling, and I need to work on my reload process, and I think I need a kettle for the cooktop. I was able to get a solid 6 hour burn twice yesterday, which was good, but I think I can do better.

Again, thanks for all the help. Here is a bad picture.
078.gif

Love the glass, makes for some interesting "scenes" with the different fires.

Greetings Forester and welcome. Congratulations on the new/old stove. It is a well made insert. I remember looking at them in the 80's. What are the firebox dimensions? This looks like one of the smaller models that became the Answer.

the outside dimensions are 20x24x17 (into the fireplace) I had originally thought maybe it was an answer, but it has a cooktop, which isn't an option on the small inserts. Best I can measure now is 10x16x20 with a fire going.

Could be the picture then. I think there was an LX line back then that had this look.

I guess whatever model it is, it is going to save me a lot of wood this winter for sure. I have it cranking right now again on the second load of the day. I am not very smooth on the reload yet, but eventually I am finding the sweet spot and getting a few hours of good burn time. It looks like there was an insulating mat(?) in the firebox under the cooktop which has somewhat deteriorated. Any ideas if this is a concern that should be addressed?

Is this on top of a firebrick baffle? If yes, it is a ceramic insulating blanket. You can get a replacement one from a local stove dealer, especially if they stock bulk blanket. If they do, see if they will sell you a couple square feet. Or ask at a hardware or ceramics supplier if they have kaowool. Or you can buy it on eBay. Be sure to match the thickness of the original which usually is around 1/2".

Status
Not open for further replies.