Maple/cherry score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webby3650

Master of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Indiana
A friend of ours had some trees dropped at her house. The tree guys cut everything to length for us, they even quartered a few of the big rounds. We have got half so far, should be 4 cords when its said and done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    423.1 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 209
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 188
A friend of ours had some trees dropped at her house. The tree guys cut everything to length for us, they even quartered a few of the big rounds. We have got half so far, should be 4 cords when its said and done.

Nice, been stocking up on both myself! Can't get enough of either

Nice score, can't say no to that! Then it's off to the races, processing and stacking. Good luck

Man, that is sweet! Just haul it home and process it. :cool: What kind of Maple? From the pics, my first guess would be Silver. You might only get a 30-hr. burn with soft Maple and Cherry... ;lol Wish I could haul that much in one load; My 5x8 trailer/car is good for maybe 1/2 cord max, less with wet wood.

Last edited:
Man, that is sweet! Just haul it home and process it. :cool: What kind of Maple? From the pics, my first guess would be Silver. You might only get a 30-hr. burn with soft Maple and Cherry... ;lol Wish I could haul that much in one load; My 5x8 trailer/car is good for maybe 1/2 cord max, less with wet wood.
We are processing on site, then hauling it.
It is mostly silver, about a cord of it was cherry and probably another half cord of sugar maple to get.

I don't think I could burn wood if I had to haul it with a car. That's commendable! I get too frustrated with a half ton, I can't imagine a car.

I don't think I could burn wood if I had to haul it with a car. That's commendable! I get too frustrated with a half ton, I can't imagine a car.
I get the majority of wood for my SILs, MIL and us here, but hacking my way back into the woods with the quad to get it out can be just as much, or more, work than scrounging off site. About six miles is my limit for car/trailer scrounges but a lot have been only a couple miles away. I also haul wood to my MIL's, about seven miles, to feed the Buck (at least five cords there.) Then I load her stove once or twice a day, depending on if my SIL is in town and can do it. I spend a bunch of time on wood, at the very least bucking and hauling out wood for five stoves. I only fully process about half that wood.

Reactions: WiscWoody
I get the majority of wood for my SILs, MIL and us here, but hacking my way back into the woods with the quad to get it out can be just as much, or more, work than scrounging off site. About six miles is my limit for car/trailer scrounges but a lot have been only a couple miles away. I also haul wood to my MIL's, about seven miles, to feed the Buck (at least five cords there.) Then I load her stove once or twice a day, depending on if my SIL is in town and can do it. I spend a bunch of time on wood, at the very least bucking and hauling out wood for five stoves. I only fully process about half that wood.
Holy cow! 5 cords? If you are providing wood for a stove that blows through that much wood, they should buy you a good 4x4 truck! Sounds like you've got your hands full there. It's mighty big of you to take care your family like that.

Nice haul. That's pretty easy pickins.

Holy cow! 5 cords? If you are providing wood for a stove that blows through that much wood, they should buy you a good 4x4 truck! Sounds like you've got your hands full there. It's mighty big of you to take care your family like that.
Well, it's the Buck 91; You can definitely load some wood in there. The old house leaks (working on that) and there's no insulation in the walls...not messing with that. Stove is at one end of the house. So I have to crank out the heat, and blow through the wood. If I lived there I'd probably be burning three partial loads a day until I could relocate the stove, insulate the walls, etc.
As far as helping them out...about time I manned up. Better late than never. ;lol

That is some nice big wood! I have a truck but my scrounge is always so close I just take the ATV and it's trailer the couple of blocks away and make a bunch of trips with breaks in between.image.jpg

they should buy you a good 4x4 truck!
I'd love to have a truck for wood etc. and that's the eventual goal, but a car is more useable for us right now. Now if they buy me a truck, and pay the insurance... ==c
my scrounge is always so close I just take the ATV and it's trailer the couple of blocks away and make a bunch of trips with breaks in between.
Yep, those quad trailer loads add up pretty quick; About four or five, and the 5x8 is full.

It sounds like you do pretty well with a car and a trailer. With my car I can't tow, it's a Toyota Echo... Lol. So like said it's the ATV most of the time.

Reactions: Woody Stover
We are processing on site, then hauling it.
Ya, I guess I should have figured that out. ;em Is that how you get most of your wood, nearby scrounges? We're fortunate to live is such a hardwood paradise. :) Judging from the stack in the pics, looks like you are working on your second or third year?

Ya, I guess I should have figured that out. ;em Is that how you get most of your wood, nearby scrounges? We're fortunate to live is such a hardwood paradise. :) Judging from the stack in the pics, looks like you are working on your second or third year?
I wish. I try to stay a full year ahead, but this last winter put a big ding in this years supply!
I really don't go looking for wood, everybody just knows I'm a wood burner. It doesn't matter to me what kind it is either, it all burns good, especially in a Blaze King! I also buy some if I can get it for a good price.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.