Maple Leaner Down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I decided this maple leaner was only going to get worse so I grabbed this on my way out. Pic 4552 is the first round off the stump, started to crack but never did barber chair.

Grabbed another 18 rounds from this tree with some smaller ones from the top still in the woods. Looks like Sunday will be spent stacking.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4550.jpg
    100_4550.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 100_4551.jpg
    100_4551.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 342
  • 100_4552.jpg
    100_4552.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_4554.jpg
    100_4554.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 100_4555.jpg
    100_4555.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 313
Looks good zap..i grabbed a maple down the road today but no pictures :cheese: Me and Emma are heading back down in a bit and will take the camera ;-P

loon

That makes some good fire wood!

Is that hard maple or soft?

zap

I've burned quite a bit of maple this season and saved the oak for the cold days. The Sugar maple is really nice, and the Norway maple burns quicker with less BTU's it seems. I would probably use Norway for shoulder season. I'm a big fan now.

That's Soft.

Finally got some snow on the ground zap looks good.

Looks good zap. Looks like a freshly fallen snow since its still on the trees. I guess more snow than that sleet they were calling for huh? I hope to fill my trailer tomorrow, its been awhile. Nice pics... Be well.

nrford said:
That's Soft.

How do you differentiate hard from soft maple?

babzog said:
nrford said:
That's Soft.

How do you differentiate hard from soft maple?
Bark appearance, texture and color of the wood. Color of the heartwood. Plus nearly 25 years as a hardwood sawmill owner where sorting hard and soft maple logs was a near daily exercise. have seen millions of board feet of both species, chalk it up to experience!

I agree. Definitely soft maple. Splits super easy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.