Maple or Basswood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Can anyone tell if this is Maple or Basswood.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0483.jpg
    100_0483.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 341
I am not real familiar with Basswood, because I have never spent time in forests where it was plentiful, but to my eye that log does not look like any species of maple.

It doesn't look completely like a basswood either. Between the two choices, I would say basswood, but I'm not 100% confident.

can't tell much from that picture. Though doesn't look like maple to me. not a good enough shot of the bark to see if it looks like basswood.

Closer Zap. Move closer for the picture. It might even help to cut one and split it so the fellas have pictures of bark and the split.

Backwoods Savage said:
Closer Zap. Move closer for the picture. It might even help to cut one and split it so the fellas have pictures of bark and the split.

I'll have to do that toward the middle of the week maybe Wednesday.

Zap

If you can get a closer shot of the bark and a shot of a cut round, I will be able to tell whether or not it is basswood for sure. It could be, but basswood typically has a darker brown bark that what you got laying there. We have tons by me, and I have cut a lot of basswood. It is iteresting, as the bark can and does vary significantly from tree to tree. I thought I had a group of 6 or so small Aspens (light, smooth bark) accross from my driveway. When the leafed out, it prompted me to take a closer look at the bark and realized it was more silver than white, and the trees were indeed basswoods! Once they get older, the bark becomes foroughed and darker brown.

The surest test for Basswood is. . . .

1)Cut and burn
2)come back in 10 minutes
3)wood gone and no heat output?

Then yup!, it's prolly Basswood

That does meet the test for bass for sure. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.