Maple Terminology

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestBrancher

Jan 16, 2014
Central Pennsylvania
A local wood dealer here in Central Pennsylvania is advertising that he has "rock maple." In my book and according to most sources, "rock maple" means sugar maple, otherwise known as hard maple. Just to be sure, I called and asked if the species is sugar maple. "No," he says. "It's rock maple. It's not sugar maple."

Is this man just confused, or is he privy to some distinction that I am not aware of?

Something tells me he's peddling red or silver, which are much more prevalent here, and calling it "rock."

Rock and sugar maple are the same tree
  • Latin Name: Acer saccharum
  • Other Common Names: Rock maple, hard maple
  • Native to: Northeastern and southern United States, and northeastern Canada
  • USDA Zones: 3 - 8
  • Height: 50 - 80' tall
  • Fall Color: Yellow, red or orange
  • Sugar maple growing profile
This is the first choice for making maple syrup as there is more sugar in the sap compared to other species, meaning it will take less sap to produce a gallon of syrup. The sugar maple can tolerate shade better than most large deciduous trees.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
Insisting on using a common name to seperate specific species always appears to me as if someone is trying to create confusion. Or not allow themselves to be pinned down. I also think its a definite sign to be wary. Sugar maple is the only species of maple to be classified as "Hard maple" all of the other species are "Soft maples". In this case the guy is using an obscure term.

Reactions: Brewmonster
Agree, he's confused. Rock, Hard and Sugar are all the same. If it is sugar maple buy it up. By far my most favorite. Great heat and dries much faster than oak!

My wife's grandma used to call Sugar Maple "hard rock Maple" but I've found that Hickory, White Oak and BL rock even harder. >>

It is pretty common terminology around these parts too. Actually, I think it may be more common than using the proper term "sugar maple". But its all the same stuff if it is truly the "hard" stuff. Great firewood and can be used for smoking as well (gives a nice light smoke to fish ==c)

I love rock, hard and sugar maple. They all burn well.:)

Every plant has exactly one name: its scientific binomial. Common names are BS. Rock maple and sugar maple are often used as common names for Acer saccharrum. But there is just no point in wasting time arguing over common names for any plant.

Rock maple and sugar maple are often used as common names for Acer saccharrum. But there is just no point in wasting time arguing over common names
Many folks know an Acer as a computer, so in the case of Maple the common names may avoid confusion. To that firewood dealer, anything that the tree guy doesn't drop off at the woodpile, already bucked to length, takes a lot more work to get, hence it is "hard Maple." ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.