Maple that's 20 years old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally figured out what the 'black wood' is, creosote soaked pieces of railroad ties that my Grandfather kept. Good thing I didn't burn them. may have had a surprise explosion.

Yeah, I'd say that stuff looked pretty black and moldy. LOL! That is not firewood at all. Time to look at some pictures of firewood to avoid confusion. That stuff should look nothing like firewood.

If it don't burn it is damp. I burned 8"x8" oak beams that were in a basemnt of a log home that was built in the 1860's. Some of the logs had over 100 rings so the tree were born before America.

Yeah, I'd say that stuff looked pretty black and moldy. LOL! That is not firewood at all. Time to look at some pictures of firewood to avoid confusion. That stuff should look nothing like firewood.

I don't need to look at pics of firewood to know what it looks like. My Grandfather had dementia in his later years, likely he put them in the woodpile without thinking about it. Lucky for me I didn't use them.

I inherited my Gram's house, and a basement half-filled with extremely dry maple, its been down there for twenty years, some of it probably more. I've burned some of it, but it takes so long for some of it catch, (some split logs are black, almost petrified, and just smolder).

I realize that people don't want moisture in their wood, but is there a way for me to recover what seems like the petrified ones?

Just checking. You stated you've burned some black petrified that just smolder. Not here to argue but you have contradicting statements. Spit wood and cut up R/R ties are not the same and before you seemed confused about this.
Good Luck!

Just checking. You stated you've burned some black petrified that just smolder. Not here to argue but you have contradicting statements. Spit wood and cut up R/R ties are not the same and before you seemed confused about this.
Good Luck!

Lucky for me that it didn't catch, the one I did put in smoldered and stunk so I removed it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.