Maple tree ID help please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajazz

Jun 10, 2015
Minnesota
This large maple tree fell down the other day and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of maple it is. I haven't cut it yet as it is in a mosquito infested area and I'm not interested in being eaten alive. The diameter of the piece that fell is about 18" at the widest part. One of the pics shows the base of the tree, but it might just be that several of them grew closely together. Thanks!
Image1467405821.861874.jpg Image1467405831.183890.jpg Image1467405840.111795.jpg Image1467405848.667572.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Leaves look like silver maple

Reactions: ajazz
Silver!

Reactions: ajazz
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flip the leaf over and look at the underside so you'll know what Silver Maple looks like, it'll have a silver tone to it.

image1467405821-861874-jpg.181911.jpg

Looks like you're gonna need hip-waders (and lots of DEET) to get that cut up.;lol

Dry silver is better than wet oak in January, but silver is pretty lightweight BTU-wise. I worked a silver a couple summers ago that was live cut, and it was immensely heavy, split hard (twisty yardbird) and was a lot of work. However, it dried light as balsa.

If you can figure out how to get moisture of of the thing before you process, it'll be a lot less work. But that looks like you'd have to get the rounds out of the wet before you could let them dry. If you're not short on wood today you could leave it until January when a little work would warm you up!

Status
Not open for further replies.