maple ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Feb 4, 2009
Northern ,IL
I have 4 tree's about 24in trunk to cut. I think it's soft maple. What do the experts say???

Attachments

• DSCN1115.jpg
    DSCN1115.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 581
  • DSCN1116.jpg
    DSCN1116.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 589
2nd that

will it make decent heat ?
I think I should end up with about 4 cords of it
So far this month I have cut 1.5 cords of Elm
.5 cords of apple , .5 Locust and .5 Oak and .5 cords of Walnut
Trying to get 2 years ahead is more work than I was hoping it would be

Silver Maple is between Aspen and Ash on the BTU scale.

I split some of the same stuff this weekend by hand, it's a breeze.

The bark looks a little rougher than the soft maple we have around here.

Easy on the saw, not very heavy, splits easy, dries fast, burns nice (but quick), throws some decent heat.

Not many coals at all =-(

Definitely worth mixing into the wood pile.

I've been splitting some red maple by hand and it's sweet, makes you feel like Paul Bunyan while splitting it. Wish I had more of it so I could let the oak I have season longer.....

It looks like some of the Red Maple I have here. The straight pieces split easily. Knotty rounds and Ys can be tough to split by hand.

the maul was bouncing off the 24 in Dia trunk pieces. I will take another wack at them when I go back if not I will roll them onto the trailer. I may have been weak from cutting the first 2 trees in under 3 hours

Try working around on the edges at a sharp angle to whittle it down rather than trying to split the big stuff right in half, it flies off in wide planks. Rolling them onto the trailer and working on them back home sounds like the best bet tho.

I just got a load of maple that looks similar to that stuff.....very heavy and won't split with a maul. I call it mystery maple because it is not norway, sugar, red or silver.

I think I am going to roll um on the trailer and then roll them under the splitter. That's what my back is telling me to do

Status
Not open for further replies.