Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2009
east coast
My neighbor is cutting down a huge maple and asked if I wanted it for fire wood. Now I know free wood is free wood, but how does maple burn? I had some poplar last season to mix in with my oak and it made a mess with all the ash it made. Wanted to avoid that this year.

depends on what kind of maple. Sugar Maple is right up there with Oak and soft Maples like Silver aren't quite as good but still make decent firewood.

MurphyMacmanus said:
My neighbor is cutting down a huge maple and asked if I wanted it for fire wood. Now I know free wood is free wood, but how does maple burn? I had some poplar last season to mix in with my oak and it made a mess with all the ash it made. Wanted to avoid that this year.
Do you know what kind of maple it is, big difference between sugar and silver, silver is OK, sugar is great, norway is also hard maple and red is also a soft maple, I am babbling bottom line it's close and free.

If its hudge its probally silver maple and pretty good firewood.

Todd said:
depends on what kind of maple. Sugar Maple is right up there with Oak and soft Maples like Silver aren't quite as good but still make decent firewood.

+1 . . . and as mentioned . . . free and "huge" is always good.

smokinjay said:

I've seen some pretty large sugar maples around here too . . . and of course size is entirely subjective. What might seem huge to one person may be large or medium in size to another.

MurphyMacmanus said:

Sugar Maple or Hard Maple is great for overnight burns and even if it was soft maple I would take it.

Check my links for identification of different types of maples.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/57421/

zap

Even if it is soft maple, it is good wood. We burn a lot of soft maple here because we have a lot of soft maple. It will not hold fire at night as well as oak but it is still excellent firewood. In addition, it makes some of the best kindling you can have. It also dries fast. You can cut it during the winter and burn it the following fall with no problem.

I would not pass it up. Free and close is for me. Maple burns nice, good heat, and not to bad to season.

KC

Neighbor= close to you. Huge tree= lots of wood. Free= well it would be a no brainer for me. And don't even ask how far I drove this weekend for some Aspen.

MurphyMacmanus said:

Get it. Maple's fine (soft or hard). Plus it gives you a good reason to run your saws and it splits easy too!

maple = good firewood

firefighterjake said:
smokinjay said:

I've seen some pretty large sugar maples around here too . . . and of course size is entirely subjective. What might seem huge to one person may be large or medium in size to another.

lol yep to me a monster is over 50 inchs across(softwood) and 40+inchs for hardwood!

Status
Not open for further replies.