Marbles in my burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heat seeker

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2011
Northern CT
Well, not really, but I found some spherical clinkers during my cleanout today. I've been getting these since burning TSC pellets. The pellets have great heat, but are very very ashy, and leave these little gifts. Fortunately, my stove can handle the ash easily, and the spherical clinkers block the airflow less than some others I've had shaped like little briquettes. Maybe I'll take them outside and see how far I can scatter them with a baseball bat...

clinkers copy.jpg

Well, not really, but I found some spherical clinkers during my cleanout today. I've been getting these since burning TSC pellets. The pellets have great heat, but are very very ashy, and leave these little gifts. Fortunately, my stove can handle the ash easily, and the spherical clinkers block the airflow less than some others I've had shaped like little briquettes. Maybe I'll take them outside and see how far I can scatter them with a baseball bat...

View attachment 150484
I got ash with TSC pellets ( and yes they were hot) but I'
ve never seen any little spheres or had not noticed them anyway. though I think TSC has more than one supplier and that may be according to region. Mine coded out as Maine Woods.

I'm thinking the spheres were caused by the VersaGrate moving back and forth. :p

I've run some experiments and have actually reburned some large clinkers.

How? Seems to me all the "burnable" components would have cooked off with the heat. I'd like to try that myself, just for s**** and giggles.

How? Seems to me all the "burnable" components would have cooked off with the heat. I'd like to try that myself, just for s**** and giggles.
I thought that too but it seems the clinkers tend to cool, maybe below ignition temp. Anyway, when I've shutdown to clean I've chisseled off the clinkers and left them in the burnpot after getting rid of most of the fine ash. On restart they ride up on top / front of the pellets. On ignition I see them get hot, burn and disappear. Have done that every time for years. Maybe I'm fooling myself but they seem to burn and disappear as I watch

Iron oxide? Would make sense.

Now I have to try that for myself. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (in my case).

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
heat seeker,

So that is where they landed, glad you found them, they will be needed on all of the dirty stove threads ;).

Not to worry, I saved them! I'm thinking of slipping them into some pellet pigs' stash, just to add some excitement!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.