Marco zc insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyndezu

Jan 30, 2008
b.a. O.K
For the first time I have bought a home with an insert, and I'm not happy with it.
I know nothing about these things.

Not only does it not heat, it blows cold air out the top front louvers freezing the area.
There is only one knob, top center for the flue.

I wonder two things;

How can this draft be stopped?

Can I add vent free gas logs instead?

thanks, cyndezu

What you have does not sound like an "insert" - it sounds like a ZC or Prefab (factory built) fireplace. These are notorious for being cold, and it is difficult to stop!

There are magnetic covers which can be placed over the vents and even rigid insulation panels that can be placed over the whole deal...but this is only if you are not burning it.

Chance are good that you can put vent-free or vented gas logs in it, but that will only solve part of the problem....vent free will definitely heat it up when you are burning them, but you still may get drafts when you are not using it.

That sounds very disappointing. but thanks anyway.
It reads zero clearance built in fireplace fire chamber, Marco df41-1

Do you think I could have a professional change the insert and correct the problem?

It is not an insert - it is a whole system which includes the chimney. So you would have to remove the entire unit and chimney...and then you could install a much more efficient unit in the same place. That would be expensive - but if you want to do it let us know and we will point you to some other threads here which discuss the same situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.