Maritimes Canada fall pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've burned almost a pallet of the Crabbe pellets as well, and they seem fine. Used Energex last year, and these seem equal in quality. At $350 a pallet ,for 70 bags, they undercut the local Rona, who has Savoie at $5.29(hardwood), And Eastern Embers at $5.69-5.99. And Donnie, the son of the owner of Crabbe's , tells me the pellets they are making currently are better than the ones I purchased, which were an earlier production run.

I'm near Brantford Ontario and burn softwood Granulco's from Rona for $4.99 a bag. I buy them by the skid....mostly for the stove, and some for bedding in my horse stalls.

Thanks folks. I'm down to 4 bags of Eastern Embers (left over from a sale last spring). Can Tire has Lignetics and Maine's Choice at $6.00 per bag, everywhere else has Eastern Embers at $5.50 and no discounts for volume purchases. Looks an awful lot like price fixing, if you ask me.

I guess the deals don't travel beyond New Brunswick! What we need is for Costco to get in the game. - then we would see some competition.

Are you saying that you have not bought a season supply of pellets??

That is a big error if you pardon my candor. Especially for such a volatile heat source I would not risk not having enough pellets for the winter before it started.
Hopefully for you the supply and the price will remain steady but oil seems to be creeping up quickly so I dont know whats going to happen.

I usually have stocked up on 300 bags or so in the spring/summer, but prices have been steady at $5.50 or $6.00 per bag (plus 15% tax) - not much of an incentive. With delivery? $6.50 per bag plus tax.

I managed to get a "deal" on some pellets last spring, but only about 75 bags at $5.00 per bag before stock ran out. Prices have been steady in Nova Scotia for about 3 years. Cozys are on sale from time to time at $5.00 per bag, but they are not the greatest quality and nobody will price match it because they know the quality is poor.

Right now, Eastern Embers are $5.50 per bag, regardless of quantity purchased - down from $6.00 in September.

Not much competition, here in Atlantic Canada, I guess.

pete324rocket said:
Tru-burns at $4.50 a bag and 5 free after 70. very hot pellets 70/30 hardwood softwood. 33 kg bags. Made in Hillsborough distributed thru Home Hardware, Co-op and a few others .
Do you mean 33Lbs bags?
I drove by their factory this past summer and I saw the stock outside all wrapped up. I couldnt see what the brand was.
Thanks for the info.

I was very surprised to see today, my local Atlantic Superstore has pellets! Right as I was going in the front entrance,a huge pile of 20 pound bags(sorry I forget the name) made in Nova Scotia,said they were premium and priced at 2.99. No real deal there but the bags are cute.

pete324rocket said:
I was very surprised to see today, my local Atlantic Superstore has pellets! Right as I was going in the front entrance,a huge pile of 20 pound bags(sorry I forget the name) made in Nova Scotia,said they were premium and priced at 2.99. No real deal there but the bags are cute.

Same at Sobeys here.

Crappy Comfy Cozys are $4.99 at kent this week.
Home Depot (Dartmouth Crossing) has Eastern Embers for $5.3x/bag, marked down from $5.99, but it's been this price for a few weeks.

rb

Too bad that Irving would not make Comfy Cozy Pellets a little better. They are the only store that put on some good specials. They could sell a pile of them if they could make them as good as the Eastern Embers

Are Comfy Cozy pellets the brand Irving is producing at the St Leonard plant?
I tried them 2 years ago and wasn't happy. Are the new ones any better?

Got 2 pallets of the Crabbe pellets today. They have reduced he moisture content , according to the owner, so hopefully they burn even better. At $5 a bag, not a bad deal.

Well I did a little digging on the web and found out that Irving has licensed the name "Home Fires Premium Wood Pellets" for their new biomass/pellet plant in Saint Leonard,that according to the enviromental accessment study plan,was supposed to open in the fall of 2010. It is supposed to output 52,500 metric tonnes of pellets per year,and with the associated biomass plant will save the comsumption of 51,580 barrels of number 6 fuel oil burned at the sawmill each year. These pellets should be showing up somewheres soon.....

Are the Tru-Burn pellets available in the Halifax area? Has anyone tried the pellets that were available at Walmart Bayers Lake up until just before Christmas? I think they were Winnipeg Forest Products.

Spoke with a friend a few days ago, and apparently the St Leonard plant is not built yet for pellets. The building they constructed is a biomass one to help fuel the sawmill.
Pellets are in the future, possibly.

Looks like these pellets have made it to the states. Here in MA, Northeastern Fence in Saugus is selling them and I would have picked up a bag or two, but had never heard of them before I did a search here. They also wanted $6.95 a bag for a 33lb. bag.

The strange thing is that they were originally priced at $295 a ton, along with Okanagan and Dragon Mountain. When I asked the dealer about them he said they were on sale for $195 a ton. Quite a reduction!! At any rate he said they didn't give out great heat like the Okies, which I can understand, but the way he said it sounded like they were an average pellet at best.

Pete324Rocket and Liar1_97, how comparable are they to some other premiums. Anyone else besides these guys tried them. At $195 a ton, it's worth it to get robbed at $6.95 a bag to see how good they might be. I guess I will probably pick up a few bags, but am still leery as to why they reduced them $100.

I just picked up a ton of Enligna pellets @ $5.00 per 40 lb bag. These pellets are made in Nova Scotia, but the vast majority are shipped overseas. Nice to see them being sold locally. If they work well, I'll stock up at that price.

Prices on Eastern Embers seem to be steady at $5.50 per bag no matter where you shop. I picked up some Burning Embers last spring in a sale. Great pellets, but they won't budge from $5.50 per bag this year.

Bought 4 bags of Trueburns today to try. After I clean my stove and burn off the Eastern Embers I will let you all know how they burn. I like the 33lb bag size, I paid $4.50per bag which is slightly more per pound then I paid for my eastern embers at $5.25 per 40lb bag.

Anyone have any news on pricing here in Atlantic Canada?

I'm told $6.00 per bag will be the starting point in September. I've got a line on some Enlignas at $5.00, but that may increase to $5.50.

I've heard there is a group of fellows who buy as a group and get some decent prices - call it a pellet co-op. I'm interested if anyone can put me in contact.

Alternatively, I'm interested in forming a co-op here in Nova Scotia if need be. Anyone interested? We are getting well and truly shafted on pellet prices here in Nova Scotia, so let's do something about it - and now is the time.

I just bought 4 tons of Eastern Embers at $5.29 / bag plus $50 delivery, from Enfield Home Hardware. I'm not sure how great a deal it was, but I called Payzants Home Hardware in Lower Sackville first and they wanted $5.99 / bag, so I figured $5.29 wasn't too bad.

I usually wait until RONA has a 15% off sale, they had Eastern Embers for the same price as Home Depot last year. Usually they limit you to 15 of an item, so 15 bags at a time, but whatever. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.