Marth Pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czech

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
So I was at the local farm store for lunch, noticed Marth Pine pellets. Anyone burn these? The PFI data looked good, less than 0.35 ash. Never seen these before and was curious.

white bag or brown bag ?

edit: nevermind. brown bag are hardwood.

I didnt like them.(brown bag) but others here seem to.

never tried their pine cause their slightly overpriced here.

I've heard they get their fiber from different sources so its hit and miss.

I did buy one ton of the hardwoods cause they were cheap $164

where you seeing at ? Fleet Farm ?

Yep, FF. If I recall they were $448 a bag, ton was $220. They had Superiors too. I'm one of those guys that buy here and there, I don't have the room to store too much. Never heard of the pine, but I really like how line pellets smell!

what I don't like about their hardwoods is the amount of fines and they dirty up my glass alot quicker.
friend of mine uses the softwoods from time to time and he likes them.

Czech said:
...... they were $448 a bag, ton was $220.

YIKES! :ahhh: First time I've ever seen a ton cheaper than a single bag of pellets!

:lol:

We've burned the pine pellets in a Winslow Country stove. They are a little more expensive than what we usually get, but when the temp gets lower than 10 we pick up a few bags. We can run our stove on a lower setting, use fewer pellets, and get more heat than with the hardwoods at a higher setting. In the rare event that they go on sale (they had a sale of $217 per ton a couple years ago) we'll go pick up a couple pallets. This year they've been about $5 per bag and $250 per ton in central Wisconsin. I'd have to say they are our favorites so far. I wish there were more softwood options around the area, I'd like to try other brands.

I have some in my stove right now... they are OK... a little ashy compared to the Doug Fir's but overall OK.

Yeah, $448 a bag would be a bad thing. I'm still shopping, burning Noah's Animal Bedding right now, great stuff! Little fact be known, it's Blazers in a different bag, price was right and I love them, put any bag you wnat on them. I'll watch end of year sales and grab some of the Marth pine, I got turned off on their hardwood years back so have passed them by since. I've checked some of the local big boxes, many are sitting on 20-40 tons, a lot of Indecks. I'd predict another month or two and we'll start seeing sub-$180 pricing again. I just don't like to store space wise.

Czech said:
So I was at the local farm store for lunch, noticed Marth Pine pellets. Anyone burn these? The PFI data looked good, less than 0.35 ash. Never seen these before and was curious.

This is a little off topic, but what's the lunch special at the Farm Store, chicken scratch??? :cheese:

Your post just sort of scratched that little spot below the fifth rib.....

Seriously..... You are getting punched because of your decimal reluctant numbering. Four and a half a bag is too much with the current prices in most areas.

Yeah yeah yeah....

Lunch means ya got 30 minutes to go do whatever, NOT that you'll be eating! ;-) I'll go without food so I can walk the isles at the farm store, check out the pellets and fishing gear, and, well, farm stuff. $4 and a 1/2 a bag comes out to around $225 a ton, right? Is that really out of hand? Personally I won't buy quant at that price, in fact have never paid over $200 a ton. Ever. But it does look like the $2-250 is pretty common east?

Status
Not open for further replies.