Maryland Laws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flh69

Jan 2, 2007
I am hearing that Maryland may pass a law to ban outdoor wood furnaces. Does anyone know about this?
Thanks

Howdy flh69, welcome aboard. I think there was another thread just recently about this topic, however I don't think MD was mentioned. I don't believe governments are out-right banning the wood furnaces, but the requirements for having one are becoming more stringent. For example, requiring that a property must be no less than 5 acres, or a 200 yard set back, etc. The result is the laws governing outdoor furnaces are essentially making it an impossible/illegal or unattractive heating option.

-Kevin

There is no legislation in the works that I know of. There was an article in a local paper mentioning them. It is more likely that the General Assembly would just have the Maryland EPA drop the hammer with regulating emission, setbacks etc...I would think the Federal EPA would act before the Maryland Dept. of enviroment would, but that is just my speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.