1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. chuckster

chuckster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Sussex County NJ
    Anybody out there besides me wear a mask when filling the hopper and working around pellets. If I don't wear one I get coughing fits. I'm wondering if inhaling all that dust is bad on the lungs. I wear the kind that they wear in hospitals.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western WA
    No, I never see any dust though.

Dave
  3. SXIPro

SXIPro Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern MA
    I used to wear one when cleaning the stove until I learned to keep it running while doing the cleaning. Never had a problem with unburned pellet dust. I keep my pellets in the basement. To limit the dust I spread down there and upstairs, I lean the nozzle of my shop vac against my coal hod's lip. Then as I pour the pellets into the coal hod it sucks up the dust. Then I can carry a dust free load of pellets into the living room to dump in the stove.
  4. mrbean1025

mrbean1025 Member

Loc:
    Southern New Hampshire
    Do you wear a mask when you drive down a dirt road?
  5. Mike D

Mike D Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Haven, CT
    No mask, same as SXIPro I turn the stove back on after cooling down to get the exhaust fan going to move the ash/dust out the vent piping - otherwise it ends up on the rug or floor and if I don't clean it up I hear about it from the boss :confused:
  6. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    hold your breath, cut the bag open more :) I guess it depends on how fast you dump, my wife had to hit reset because the stove went out, I can usually dump a bag in 20-30 seconds. Im asthmatic and never had a problem. Probably should wear one.
  7. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Mask??? I chop pellets into dust and snort them...My doctor says that fiber is my friend!!:cool:
    Northwoodneil and stikit2bigoyl like this.
  8. thedude110

thedude110 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Connecticut
    If you've got that much pellet dust, you may need to upgrade to a better pellet!

I do sometimes think "I should be wearing a mask" when I'm cleaning the stove because I can get choked up by some of the ash particles due to my asthma/craptastic lungs, I think.
    stillersnut likes this.
  9. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Cape Cod, Ma
    I poke a finger into the top of a fresh bag and pull the bag apart at the heat seal seam.
    Then pour the entire bag into the hopper, pellets/fines/whatever.

Any dust that rises up is filtered through the cigarette I have stuffed in my face.

I try to remember to inhale through the butt and exhale through my nose. :eek:

No problem with pellet dust bothering me. ;)
    ---Nailer---
  10. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Filling the hopper I don't but when cleaning the stove and exhaust I have to or I get sick.
  11. ScotL

ScotL Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
    You may have a mild wood allergy. My father for example is allergic to the ash species and it only bothered him in a sawmill - where dust was airborne. The worst part for him was he ran a hardwood sawmill for 20 years.