masonry chimneymen to your posts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
hellooooooooooo

just brushed the chimney and the top layer of the clay liner in starting to peel. just a skim coat.
it's been peeling for about 3 years but that was just the top section. now it's starting to get lower on the liner.
how long do i have? and is there a insulation out there for a masonry chimney?
ran a light down the chimney like i do for every year and everything is aok except the top section of clay liner.

Hi -

I've just made a "T" Shaped plug that fix into the flue tile to keep pieces from falling in deap. Then I bust out the tile with a ball peen hammer, and put a new tile in. Not a big deal. Making the new cap is a little more work. Bad tile and bad old cap are often hand in hand.

ATB,
Mike P

Yes, sounds like the combination of a cap and possibly replacing the top flue tile should do the job. Also, pay attention to patching and sealing the chimney crown and bricks....especially at the upper part of the chimney, as moisture may be leaking in and causing the problem.

There is also a tool and cement which may help this..... I can't find it online, but it is a rubber squeegee which is placed on the end of poles and lowered down the chimney - a mortar solution is then poured in, and as you pull the squeegee up, the mortar gets forced into cracks and may just help coat the tile.

that tool sounds like a hugh time and money saver. looking at the cap, it is bad and because of
the bad cap the top block (my chimney is block on the outside with no bricks) is split in a corner and i'm just starting to see that the next 3 blocks have hair line cracks. so i think it may be time to rebuild the top blocks and tile. the chimney is a outside chimney and was built in 1978.

Status
Not open for further replies.