Masonry Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fraxinus

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
coastal Maine
The foundation of our 1870ish house consists of random stone with courses of brick on top. There is a roughly 10 foot section which suffered some fairly severe freeze damage about five years ago. Repairs were made by mortaring in brick and block to replace sections of stone and areas of damaged brick. While this has held up well, I would like to face it on the cellar side with an additional reinforcing layer. (The rest of the foundation was coated from the inside last summer with shotcrete. The section I'm asking about could not be done because it lies so close to the oil tank and a waste line.) So, my qusetions are:
1. What would be the best thing to use for the coating? Mortar? Sand mix? (Not sure if there's a difference.) Quikcrete also has a fiberglass reinforced product called Quickwall which also seems to have possibilities.
2. Should the cement be reinforced with metal lathing or wire? If it should, any suggestions about how to attach it to the wall - I do not want to be driving nails into mortar joints - would be welcome.
3. Are there any additives which should be added to the cement to increase strength and adhesion?

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.