Masonry Thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theedge99

Dec 1, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Hey,

I would like to install a wood stove on an existing exterior masonry chimney. Its a 6 inch inner diameter wall thimble inside a square concrete block which is about 10.5 inches total width across. I don't know if i can just connect to it or not due to clearance to combustible requirements. The last pic shows a close up looking inside the crack along the bottom of the concrete block into the wall. You can see wood framing in there.

The chimney is lined with clay and doesn't appear to have ever been used as the clay is still clean.

I have the Englander VL-17

IMG_0665 (2).JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0667.JPG IMG_0669.JPG IMG_0666.JPG IMG_0668.JPG

You should really have a chimney properly inspected (level 2) by a pro before installing a new appliance in it. And no that timble does not have enough clearance to combustibles at all. But there may be more issues have it checked and the sweep can give you options to fix the thimble when they are there

Yeah I am going to get a WETT technician to come look at it. Just hoping to learn some more about it before they come.

I also have another stove I was thinking of putting in there at first, an original Little Cod. Its not a certified stove and I would need heat shields, but it only needs a 4" stove pipe. Would I be able to use maybe a 4" piece of insulated stove pipe or chimney pipe and put that through the 6" thimble?

Status
Not open for further replies.