Massive Silver Maple Taken Down in my Town

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Grand ole tree, nice article.

zap

ggans said:
Did ya get the wood...?

No, I don't live in the village, I didn't even know about the tree till I read the article in the paper. The branches may be been ok, you couldn't have giving me the lower part of the trunk! :lol:

70+ inchs across the biggest I have ever seen is 63 inchs...That is a MASSIVE MONSTER!

Maybe they donated the firewood to the homeless?! ....anyone following the other thread on the splitter for the homeless will understand..LOL

That is a big sucker. I don't have enough saw to take that thing down! It would be fun though.

That is impressive. I've been wondering how big the one in my backyard is so just went out and measured it. Circumference at breast height is 18' 8" and at the narrowest point is 18' 2" so just about the same size as that one. It was one of the reasons I bought the house so I sure hope it has a few years left!

I amazed that tree was that old. Silver maples rarely make it past 75 years.

wendell said:
That is impressive. I've been wondering how big the one in my backyard is so just went out and measured it. Circumference at breast height is 18' 8" and at the narrowest point is 18' 2" so just about the same size as that one. It was one of the reasons I bought the house so I sure hope it has a few years left!

I amazed that tree was that old. Silver maples rarely make it past 75 years.

Post a pic of that big dude.

There is no place I can get a picture of the whole thing but here are a couple.

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

30" limbs! and here I thought the ash I'm currenlty bucking up with a 30" trunk was big!

Maybe it is the reason my wood doesn't dry very well? ;-P

Awesome tree wendell! Thanks for posting it!

I scored a silver last year from buddy that was just over 4' at BH and the trunk was full of ants. I guess this is pretty common with silvers, they took it down to avoid having it fall on their house. I didn't take the trunk and still ended up with around 3 cords of wood, this season it will be my primary wood for the shoulder season and when I'm around to fill the stove wood.

smokinjay said:
Post a pic of that big dude.

BTW, it's a she and my wife has named her Esther.

here is the silver that dropped a large limb on the house a couple weeks ago :-S

how do i go about guesstamating its age standing..thanks

Terry

DSC07717.jpg

[quote author="loon" date="1281450744"]here is the silver that dropped a large limb on the house a couple weeks ago :-S

Terry

I found this for estimating the age of a beech tree, I think it would work on any tree but I'm not sure.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6176027_guess-age-beech-tree.html

zap

I'd cut it down and count the rings. ;-)

With a silver maple, I'd guess and then figure it is half that age.

zapny said:
loon said:
here is the silver that dropped a large limb on the house a couple weeks ago :-S

Terry

I found this for estimating the age of a beech tree, I think it would work on any tree but I'm not sure.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6176027_guess-age-beech-tree.html

zap

just got home and went out with the tape measure, it is 125inches around at the base.

and with the Beech tree guess, i come up with 477 years old :-/ :)

Terry

I wonder what the removal cost? Must have been several thousand $$$!

Status
Not open for further replies.