Matches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNLA

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2010
Not sure what has happened to us? In our area it seems to be very difficult to locate regular strike anywhere matches. The safety police must have said they where dangerous. I went to 4 stores to find them and came up empty.... >:-( These are probably some of the most common things I could imagine in someones home yet they are nowhere to be found. They had strike on box but not strike anywhere. So has anyone else noticed the conspiracy against good matches? :lol:

Good so far I'm not alone. I wonder if it is another safety thing? We last spotted them at a hardware store and bought 3 boxes... 4 years back!

I had a hard time locating them as well. I finally found them at ACE Hardware

Haven't been able to find them anywhere local either. That's all I ever used since being in the boyscouts. Used to dip them in wax to keep them dry. Now I suppose the boyscouts use a click torch and a super cedar :)

pen

The point I would like to make is I would like to walk into a store and buy some matches. Sounds kinda everyday huh? :lol:

I'm surprised you are having a hard time in WA state. Lots of wood burners here. Try your hardware store.

I wonder if they aren't disappearing simply because they don't move many anymore?

pen

The matches don't move but the threads sure do! Sorry I had no idea where to go for sympathy. I'll do better next time.

I moved it RNLA and had intended to leave a shadow link in the hearth room (so it would show up in Both forums) but I clicked the wrong button :shut:

pen

Thanks Pen, I have now come to the conclusion that I looked for the old familiar matches. Now they are "Green light"! AND made from wood "sourced from responsible forests".... Same DIAMOND brand with a new tip color. The strike anywhere were hard to find and my wife found them at ACE. I feel so much better now that I support responsible forestry while at the same time heating my home with residential harvested wood... :lol:

RNLA said:
Thanks Pen, I have now come to the conclusion that I looked for the old familiar matches. Now they are "Green light"! AND made from wood "sourced from responsible forests".... Same DIAMOND brand with a new tip color. The strike anywhere were hard to find and my wife found them at ACE. I feel so much better now that I support responsible forestry while at the same time heating my home with residential harvested wood... :lol:

That's a riot. I wonder how many boxes of matches they get out of an average tree. I'll have to find an ace then.

pen

Most ironic is the timing. My friend is starting a forest management and stewardship company. He is doing a side of firewood with a main of harvesting the less desirable trees to give adequate growing room to the good trees. Good tree/ bad tree ???? %-P Maybe he could get a supply contract with the match company! :lol:

zippo late Oct. 2012 I will light it again! ;-)

smokinjay said:
zippo late Oct. 2012 I will light it again! ;-)
Zippo is OK but I like the rush to get lit before you run out of match stick... :smirk:

I haven't seen "Strike Anywhere" matches since I was a kid. Thought it was long discontinued...nothign quite like being able to light a match on your jeans or with your thumbnail. My grocery store stocks boxes of wooden matches, but they only sell "Strike on box" matches.

mayhem said:
I haven't seen "Strike Anywhere" matches since I was a kid. Thought it was long discontinued...nothign quite like being able to light a match on your jeans or with your thumbnail. My grocery store stocks boxes of wooden matches, but they only sell "Strike on box" matches.

Yup.Only ones I've seen for years have been those.Surprised to still see them even.

Was lookin around on the interwebs and I think they would go away except for the disaster preparedness angle. They stress getting "strike anywhere". I can't stand when the over whelming majority or safety police or any other group says "we have a better way". So we stocked up bought 4 boxes. Now we will be lit till the cows come home! :blank:

RNLA said:
Was lookin around on the interwebs and I think they would go away except for the disaster preparedness angle. They stress getting "strike anywhere". I can't stand when the over whelming majority or safety police or any other group says "we have a better way". So we stocked up bought 4 boxes. Now we will be lit till the cows come home! :blank:

If my grandmother knew I had them in the house even though she's well into her 80's she'd probably try and break in to remove them.

Her home burnt to the ground when she was just a little girl in the middle of the night one summer. Whether it was true or not they believed a mouse started the fire in a kitchen cabinet by chewing on a strike anywhere match.

Just to be on the safe side, I keep mine in a sealed ceramic container. Well, I keep the dozen or so remaining that I have there.

pen

It is true, they can be unsafe. The box says DO NOT DROP! I have had nightmarish visions of the box poofing into a ball of fire as I dropped it from heights of about 2-3 ft. As of yet it has not happened, I could see it though. Maybe I'll do an experiment and see how high or hard one would have to shock the box to ignite the contents. "Folks do not try this at home, these are trained professionals"! :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.