1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Material for blocking plate?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tfenn1, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfenn1

tfenn1 New Member

I am waiting for my Osburn 2200 insert to arrive and want to install a blocking plate and my flex liner while I'm waitng for it. What type of material should I use for the blocking plate? Is there a type of pour insulation that can be used to insulate between the liner and the existing flue and is this even something that is worth doing?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    It may be best to wait for your stove because liner placement will depend on where the flue collar lines up from the stove. And thus the blockoff plate is the final piece to the puzzle.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Galvanized 24 gauge is what is best - in terms of workability, etc.

You can make the plate, just don't cut the whole yet. Did you see the instructions for making a plate in our info section?
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I second that motion. I put it in before the stove arrived based on the manufacturer's specs and had to rip it out and do it again.

As to material, the six buck piece of galvanized sheet metal in the plumbing section at Lowe's will do it just fine. Look over in the duct work section. The employees won't have a clue.
  5. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Remember, a set of good vise grips or channel locks will help when you are trial fitting, otherwise you will never get it back down after you push it up there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.