Material for wall behind free standing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micah

Nov 1, 2007
Central Pennsylvania
My wife and i have a qudrafire 4300 free standing wood stove and would like to do something nice to the wall behind it. Where not sure what kind of meterials we can use. Our stove calls for 10 inches from the wall but Im not sure if thats just for combustible materials. Could we do like tile or slate rock or will we have to move our stove out further?

If the 10" is to combustibles you can further reduce that amount. Much will depend on your stove pipe exit.
Single wall stove pipe must be 18" to combustible walls ( Sheetrock over 2X4 is combustible) but that can be reduced with a stove pipe heat shield.

You can put the stove closer to a wall by hanging a piece of concrete board (if going tile/slate) on 1" spacers, that allows a 50% reduction in clearances.

Is it a step top or millinium? double wall or single wall vent pipe? My 4300 manual doesnt show 10" for either except corner install on a flat top.

Its a corner install with a flat top stove. I have single wall off the stove to and elbow then another single wall to a double wall pipe that goes through the wall and acts as a thimble.

Well if youve met the 10" to the drywall you can use any non flamable within that space, Put a layer of 1/2" Duroc over the drywall and then tile slate stone or even cultured stone. with the step top I only needed 2" heres a pic of what I did with cultured stone

Attachments

• IMG_0291_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0291_1_1.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,206
WOW that is just beautiful! Im not sure what Duroc? So if i put up cement board over the whole wall behind it, i can ignore the 10" clearance aslong as im not putting up any combustibles over it.

Duroc is non cumpustable cement board. Yes the 10" is clearance to cumbustables ( CTC ) which is your drywall any non combustable beyond that is not counted in the CTC

nshif
STOP!
I already had hearth envy when I saw that picture the first time, PLEASE dont force me to re-do my hearth during the burning season ;)

You can put the stove closer to a wall by hanging a piece of concrete board (if going tile/slate) on 1” spacers, that allows a 50% reduction in clearances.
this is the wrong advice even NFPA compliant non combustiable walls only reduce CTC to 12" now if the requirement was 24" it would be 50% but it cannot be reduced any further than 12"
ceoling protection can only be reduced 1/3

Your stove is tested and certified to be 10" it cannot be reduced unless the entire wall its structure is completely non combustible Example placing it to a concrete foundation wall it can be any distance from the concrete foundation wall.. There is a grey area of making tile or non combustible surfaces directly on top of combustible surfaces. meaning the non combustible tile can still transfer heat to the combustibles underneath Meaning the final measurement can be from the new tile wall surface or interpretation could be to the surface of the drywall.

Like I said there is a grey area of code interpretation involved its not clear if you palce the stove from you finished wall surface then there is not need to interpret the intent of the code.

Here's mine. I followed all minimum clearnaces, despite the fact I have sheetrock and two layers of tile...ignore the dust bunnies and dog toy.

Attachments

• IMG_2012.JPG
    IMG_2012.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,731
Mike from Athens said:
Here's mine. I followed all minimum clearnaces, despite the fact I have sheetrock and two layers of tile...ignore the dust bunnies and dog toy.
what a nice looking installation Mike I would move that stack thermometer down closer to the stove

The thermometer is at eye level, per the instructions. Do you think it would make any difference moving it down, and what would I gain by this?

Mike from Athens said:
The thermometer is at eye level, per the instructions. Do you think it would make any difference moving it down, and what would I gain by this?

Remember, eye level for the average male is in the 64-67 inch range.

this one is around 5'5" - the photo was taken from below. If you stand up, the thermometer will line up with the colored 6" tiles on the wall...there's over a foot of space behind the stove, so maybe the perspective of the picture is deceiving...

Elk
My inspector whent by my manual which states CTC he said any non combustables dont count/
As far as gray areas in codes thats as bad as gray areas in laws and the tax code, just BS

Status
Not open for further replies.