Mature Oak Tree died this Summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
Over the course of this Spring/Summer a massive amount of bark fell off one oak tree and it is past the point of no return. There is a big black patch of, apparently, fungi on the south side of the tree where most of the bark fell off from. It is full of dead leaves now and looks like a standing dead that I'll need to drop this Winter.

I've got another oak that looks like a dead ringer for the Hypoxylon Canker. This is a white-rot fungal disease primarily of oaks, hickories and pecans in South Carolina. I haven't found a disease that mentions a black as tar fungal disease for oak though. Any clues for me as to what's afflicting this particular oak?

I think I found the answer to my own question. The Hypoxylon Canker can look black in spots. One prevention tip I read was, "Remove and burn or dispose of any infected trees, and cut the remaining stumps flush with the soil."

By "disposing" can that also include splitting and stacking the wood for firewood?

I've was back there again looking at the situation. I've ID'd 4 mature oaks that need to be dropped because of this. That's a lot of wood to just go up in flames outside the wood stove. Will this fungi continue to live and reproduce if the tree is no longer alive?

Hypoxylon spores are ubiquitous in the environment. The mycelial fungal mats (tan --> gray) on trunk/ branches are good distinguishing characteristic. Pat it during the right time of year and it will send up a cloud of spores http://extension.missouri.edu/treepests/documents/pestalertHypoxylon.pdf
It is a stereotypical stress related disease. Individual oaks are susceptible to Hypoxylon canker are those that are very stressed and dying usually from abiotic factors - drought stress, root damage, over mature specimens and individuals subject to adverse site change grade change and root loss from inundation.

. . . So key is to keep your trees in good condition and not abuse the trees that you want to keep.

Hypoxylon spores are ubiquitous in the environment. The mycelial fungal mats (tan --> gray) on trunk/ branches are good distinguishing characteristic. Pat it during the right time of year and it will send up a cloud of spores http://extension.missouri.edu/treepests/documents/pestalertHypoxylon.pdf
It is a stereotypical stress related disease. Individual oaks are susceptible to Hypoxylon canker are those that are very stressed and dying usually from abiotic factors - drought stress, root damage, over mature specimens and individuals subject to adverse site change grade change and root loss from inundation.

. . . So key is to keep your trees in good condition and not abuse the trees that you want to keep.

That's what I've gathered too. The strange thing is I've not done anything in this area besides mow the lawn. I don't even get close enough to the trunks with the mower to nick them. I don't know enough to have any idea why they were stressed or unhealthy.

Since removing the trees and even burning them will not rid my woods of this disease I might as well drop them and CSS for the wood stove 3 years from now.

Good moment of clarity right there, keep 'em for heat.

Reactions: 7acres
Status
Not open for further replies.