Maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
My birthday is quickly approaching and the wife was drilling me this morning looking for hints for the kids. I told her I would like a maul that would provide the most ease of splitting and also the best chains. I have a Stihl 310. Your suggestions would be appreciated.

The Fiskar splitting axe are hard to come by - seems most places are sold out. Everybody raves about them on Hearth.com

I'd like to try one and compare it to a standard 6lb maul. From what I have read, the fiskar splitting axe (biggest one) has a 4lb head 28 inch handle. That's 2 lbs lighter then my 6 lb maul and considerably lighter then an 8 lb maul. Mauls are somewhat blunt compared to the sharp edge of the fiskar splitting axe but they hit the log with so much more force and weight. What type and size wood are you using the Fiskar splitting axe on?

I got a splitting axe from Home Depot yesterday (since I couldn't find a Fiskar) that has a sharp edge and 4 lb head. It has flared sides too. I thought this might be easier to work with - but I was extremely disappointed with it. It's useless on rounds. I can use it to make splits smaller, but it would not split most of my rounds. I would use my maul to split the round in two (because the axe couldn't) and then the axe to split the halve into smaller splits. I don't like switching. My standard walmart maul has no issues with splitting Oak, Cherry, Ash, rounds average size about 10 to 12 inches. I saved my reciept and the blade cover, I am gonna take this axe back. Might be fine for limbing - but it's not good for splitting rounds. Disappointed and sticking with mauls.

I use both the Fiskars and an 8 lb. maul. There are infrequent times when the Fiskars meets its match in some very big, hard round. But the majority of the time, the Fiskars splitter is quite fine. Be careful when you use it to take a nice, wide stance in case you miss and the blade comes down to leg level. I learned this the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.