max heat from 6" flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pilgrimtt

Mar 4, 2010
central mn
I need maximum heat (safely) from a 6 " flue. My Dutchwest did well in that dept. but I think it is toast. Warped. What are my best choices? Blaze King?

Englander / Summers Heat / Timber Ridge 30-NC (all same stove - different names in different big box stores) is a possibility.

pilgrimtt said:
I need maximum heat (safely) from a 6 " flue. My Dutchwest did well in that dept. but I think it is toast. Warped. What are my best choices? Blaze King?

Define "maximum heat".

The cat stoves don't make much max heat at all especially when you choose a cat stove that can vent to a 6" flue. I have assumed you are talking about max btu output.

No, you'll need a non-cat stove. Choose the largest firebox that has a 6" flue hooked to it. Seems that the NC30 described above is the biggest that I know of. There's also a big quadrafire.

Highbeam said:
The cat stoves don't make much max heat at all especially when you choose a cat stove that can vent to a 6" flue. I have assumed you are talking about max btu output.

No, you'll need a non-cat stove. Choose the largest firebox that has a 6" flue hooked to it. Seems that the NC30 described above is the biggest that I know of. There's also a big quadrafire.
Jotul Firelight would be about the same capacity as the big Quad (the 5700). The NC30 has a slightly larger firebox than either, though, I think.

Having just warped a dutchwest, I would recommend the OP consider a plate steel stove that can be bought for less money and "should" withstand overheating a bit better. If it melts out then buy a couple more for less than a new jotul.

pilgrimtt said:

I think what he's trying to say is "what stove, that uses a 6" flue, has the largest btu/hr output ?"
and I would probably answer BK Princess.

But I'm probably prejudiced, having just replaced by Dutchwest late-80s catalytic with a BK
and wondering why I didn't do it sooner. There is no comparison.

RustyShackleford said:
wondering why I didn't do it sooner. There is no comparison.

I have repeated those same words several times. Sometimes a comparison is needed so it can actually be appreciated. ;-)

Lopi liberty and PE Summit would be a good choice also correct?

This should be easy enough to research. Look at the specified max btu per hour from each stove available to find the highest one.

Well, if aesthetics aren't an issue there's also this puppy. :gulp:

Attachments

• barrel 2.jpg
    barrel 2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 329
I know you BK guys don't like to hear it but the owner's manual for the BK specifies the max btu output at 40,000 btu/hr for the princess and 47000 btu/hr for the king. Them are the real numbers from the real manual and they are low. Cat stoves always have low max output numbers but the magic is that they can make that 40,000 for a long time.

http://www.blazeking.com/Manuals/manuals/OMPE1006andKE1107.pdf

On page 14.

You'll be up over 100,000 with the big plate steel non-cat stoves.

Highbeam said:
I know you BK guys don't like to hear it ...

How DARE you suggest that the BK is not the end-all and be-all of stoves in every single way :)

Ha! I know, I would love one in the basement for a primary heater but not because of max btus. They have lots of other things going for them.

Highbeam said:
You'll be up over 100,000 with the big plate steel non-cat stoves.

No you won't.

Even the little summit is at 97,000 btu/hr. But you're right BB, that isn't quite 100,000. I couldn't find a 100k stove in my quick search.

The big stoner equinox is 120,000 btu/hr but an 8" flue.

Honestly, if I needed more heat than the standard X-large stoves could produce then I would be looking to fit a yukon wood furnace in my home. Plus I would have a stove for that extra zone heat.

Thanks for input guys. There is a place in northern MN that will sell a Princess Ultra (BK) for $2250 including tax. I think that is a good deal. I am trying to convince my wife but I have not smoochd her enough yet. Maybe I should stop. One of the parts that would need replacing is $270 in my warped Dutchwest. So much for repairing that thing.

pilgrimtt said:
Thanks for input guys. There is a place in northern MN that will sell a Princess Ultra (BK) for $2250 including tax. I think that is a good deal. I am trying to convince my wife but I have not smoochd her enough yet. Maybe I should stop. One of the parts that would need replacing is $270 in my warped Dutchwest. So much for repairing that thing.

That sounds like a DAMNED good price - I'd go for it. I paid right at $2000 last fall,
and that included shipping across the (entire) country but no sales tax. However,
rumor has it that the stoners at the place had the prices listed wrong on the website
and actually had no profit. But they honored the price.

And of course you'll get a 30% tax credit.

Do it - you'll never look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.