1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Max-M pellet recommendations, pretty please?

Post in '2013-14 Pellet FUEL reviews-opinions-questions' started by Dave M, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Dave M

Dave M New Member

Loc:
    Sundown NY
    Last year I used somersets in my Max-M multifuel stove. Also used some New England pellets, and both seemed to perform well. I saw the post about Poughkeepsie Lowes carrying them soon, but its over 50 miles away. Don't think they'll go that far.

This year I cant find somersets anywhere near Kingston, Ellenville, Monticello or Liberty NY. I cant go by ratings because performance seems to vary so much from stove to stove. Next best pellet available, by rating would be presto logs(I think). Other choices I see at closer lowes stores are green supreme, timber heat, and premium wood. All are going for $209/pallet. Not too shabby on the price, but I don't know if any of these would be good for my particular stove.

I don't want to get stuck with pellets my stove doesn't appreciate!

So, anybody with a Max-M have any experience with these pellets? Any recommendations?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

I test burned the Timber Heats (re-bagged Dry Creek) last year and liked them....bought a ton for this year. The Premium brand (re-bagged AWF's), I also had good luck with in the past....bought a ton of them also. At $209, they are a good deal.

Stay away from the GS.....they're just re-bagged NEWP junk.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I own the Omega, The Maxx M's older cousin. Your Maxx M will burn all of the listed brands with ease. Its the ash content and heat output that will vary from brand to brand. You will be the picky one on which pellet to burn. Mine has burned some nasty stuff and chugged along just fine.

Press to Logs were good for me last season and So were the Timber Heats(rebagged Dry Creeks). If you liked the NEWP's the Green Supreme are actually the same pellet in a different bag(NH plant has a bit better quality).

The Premium wood pellet could be several brands. We would need where your getting them and probably the UPC code to get which pellet they actually are.

Edit: imacman is quick, Beat me to it again! :(
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

Seeing that he is in the same general area as I am, they are probably the Premium's I mentioned (AWF).

Jay, you're slowing down "old man" LOL ;lol
  5. Dave M

Dave M New Member

Loc:
    Sundown NY
    Thanks guys. Yes, the green supremes are 275/pallet. I burned a few bags and didn't notice anything justifying a higher price(but that was on low setting where I don't get as good a burn anyway). Tough call on just a few bags, but I wasn't impressed....plusthe price seems too high anyway. I will keep in mind that timber and presto would be also be ok, prices same as last year too. Still gonna hold out for somersets for awhile, but this is good info, thanks again.
  6. jeanine

jeanine Member

Loc:
    long island ny
    I bought the premium brand last night also , so they are re-bagged AWF?
  7. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Should be, Should also have AWF on the front of the bag.
  8. jeanine

jeanine Member

Loc:
    long island ny
    Yes it does I guess that would have been a give away, Ill get this eventually :)
    jtakeman likes this.
  9. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Me thinx your doing fine. :cool:
  10. jeanine

jeanine Member

Loc:
    long island ny
    thanks
    jtakeman likes this.
  11. oliveone

oliveone Member

Loc:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Dave M has scored 5 ton of the SETS :) he is all set for the year
    jtakeman likes this.
  12. jeanine

jeanine Member

Loc:
    long island ny
    I wish I could find them here, but the company said as of now nothing to long island :(
  13. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    He gets my vote! One more and you can do the honors. ;)
  14. Dave M

Dave M New Member

Loc:
    Sundown NY
    Thanks jtake! What a hassle though, they didn't accept my 10% off movers discount. Didn't even give me the 5% off with my lowes card. Claiming the per pallet price IS the discount, and no others can be combined. I was annoyed so I just went home. Pissed off, but happy to have my sets. Oliveone told me I should have gotten a manager, and he was right. I complained through the lowes site instead, and the Poughkeepsie manager called me the next day. Had to go back to the store again, but I did save an extra $110 or so. Sad to say, but true: My lowes movers discount would have been honored easier at home depot.
    jtakeman likes this.