1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Max stove top temperature on a VC Defiant?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by mywaynow, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Just got a thermo on top of the stove and was wondering what temps I should use as maximum temps on the stove top? I had a hot one the other day that had a temp of 760.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. spirilis

spirilis Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Market, MD
    That's around the upper limit IMO. My griddle-top warped a little after 2 years of hitting those kind of temps routinely so I'd watch it...
  3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Yep, I agree w/ spirilis. That's a good temp to call your "redline". If that fire was a hot one for you, sounds like you are doing it right.

pen
  4. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Brain farted and left the damper/primary open after loading my Defiant the other night and temps exceeded 800 - not a good thing. No glow and cooled right off in about 30 minutes to a cruising temp of 450 but I was very disapointed in myself. Stove is no worse for wear but I do not plan on testing that foolishness again if I can help it.

I like to get mine up to 450-500ish then shut it down and use the intake to get it cruising aroung 400. I like when I get a perfect burn and it runs at 4-450 but usually is between 375 - 400. Mostly because this is my first year and I have the less than optimal wood issue. Not terrible because I had a lot of wood cut but it sat in rounds for a year instead of splits so it is not perfectly dried.
  5. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Bob,
    You can go a little higher than that 500 number if you like. Might help with. Little more charcoaling of the wood before you shut it down and may help with. Higher cruising temp. Of Course, that is IMHO only.