Max stove top temperature on a VC Defiant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Just got a thermo on top of the stove and was wondering what temps I should use as maximum temps on the stove top? I had a hot one the other day that had a temp of 760.

That's around the upper limit IMO. My griddle-top warped a little after 2 years of hitting those kind of temps routinely so I'd watch it...

Yep, I agree w/ spirilis. That's a good temp to call your "redline". If that fire was a hot one for you, sounds like you are doing it right.

pen

Brain farted and left the damper/primary open after loading my Defiant the other night and temps exceeded 800 - not a good thing. No glow and cooled right off in about 30 minutes to a cruising temp of 450 but I was very disapointed in myself. Stove is no worse for wear but I do not plan on testing that foolishness again if I can help it.

I like to get mine up to 450-500ish then shut it down and use the intake to get it cruising aroung 400. I like when I get a perfect burn and it runs at 4-450 but usually is between 375 - 400. Mostly because this is my first year and I have the less than optimal wood issue. Not terrible because I had a lot of wood cut but it sat in rounds for a year instead of splits so it is not perfectly dried.

Bob,
You can go a little higher than that 500 number if you like. Might help with. Little more charcoaling of the wood before you shut it down and may help with. Higher cruising temp. Of Course, that is IMHO only.

Status
Not open for further replies.