Max vertical run Enviro maxx?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olmec

Burning Hunk
Oct 31, 2014
NH
Anyone know what the max vertical run is for the Maxx and Maxx M? Ive got a total 23ft vertical and a 2ft horizontal cross section. I was looking into the Fahrenheit 50 but unfortunately, it looks like you cant go over 20 ft with that one.

I did check the manual but it was silent on that... Rule of thumb for 3" pipe, EVL max is 15. horizontal venting 1=1; vertical 1=1/2; 45 elbow=3; 90 elbow=5. 4" pipe should do the trick but why not call/email the manufacturer for a definite answer.

I'd call as well. I have more than that vertical on my stove but it's 4" and no issue here. That don't mean you wont however.

I've been burning with a Maxx for 4 seasons - about 2 feet horizontal and 25 feet vertical with no issues.

I presume like me, 3 out of the appliance into a 3-4 Tee and 4" up.

The Maxx series uses 4" pellet venting and isn't specifically rated to a maximum vertical height. Enviro is notoriously difficult to communicate with consumer-direct (that's supposed to be what the dealers are for), but your local dealer should be able to get an official recommendation for you. I have installed a handful of them with venting in the 20 to 30 foot vertical range, and none of them have had any venting issues. You'll need to adjust the damper and possibly adjust the combustion blower speed. A cheap manometer or Magnehelic is a worthwhile thing to have. Figure in a clean-out tee at the bottom of the vertical run that is easily accessible and check it fairly often at first to determine how frequently you'll need to empty it. Many tee clean-outs can be extended with another length of pipe for a larger ash reserve.

Many tee clean-outs can be extended with another length of pipe for a larger ash reserve.

Better not to do that as it invites complaciency in cleaning the venting and an over summer accumulation of ash in the drop tube can become corrosive and eat out the blanking plug on the bottom (don't ask how I know.....!!!.)

Better not to do that as it invites complaciency

Hahaha, fair enough. Though it's intended to reduce cleaning frequency to no more than a few times per year, it's not a tip meant to replace a normal cleaning schedule (should always clean your stove and vent at the end of the heating season, inspect it at the start of the season, and then clean everything after every 1-2 tons of pellet burned during the heating season. With longer vertical runs, and lower quality pellet, this can sometimes need to be more like every 1/2 ton of pellets due to the fly ash accumulation in the relatively small tee clean-out cap. If you become complacent and let the ash sit in there way too long, especially all summer, you WILL be replacing vent components more often than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.