Maxim Pellet Furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpellet

May 22, 2009
Has anybody had any experience with the new Maxim 250? Are the outdoor units worth the price? Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance.

I have the Maxim 175. 1st year last year. Burned 100% corn. Very happy with it. I had an aerator break towards the end of the season, but it was covered under warranty and the new one was redesigned.

There are several Maxim users over at iburncorn.com and some more info over there also.

The issue I saw with the units is if you are burning pellets and turn the power off to the unit. This defeats the burn back protection and there have been a couple of hopper fires reported as a result.

Tim

I just came through my first season with the maxim m-175, no huge issues, clean and load once a week (possibly sooner based on heat demands) you will find the hopper doesn't feed the last bag or two of pellets from the hopper (seems this isn't an issue with corn) I found putting a massager in the hopper will get the rest to feed. during your cleaning open the screw off port where the upper and lower auger drop is and make sure it is open, if fuel is backed up in there with pellets (read of three stoves doing this last year) and the lower auger jams the fire can burn back into the hopper (makes a huge mess and ruins a bunch of components), this is easy to clear out.
I love the fact that the mess is outside, and the fire is outside, no ashes in the house, and no pellets to step on with bare feet. when you get the stove, get thermopex it is worth the money, one degree of heat lost every 100 feet, nobody makes anything better. I have 85 feet and the snow never melted over it all winter, if you read around here you will find quite a few horror stories about melted ground, low water temps in the house, and even pipes foating out of the ground, from some of the cheap ebay and other suppliers.

Thanks for the input. Just trying to do a little homework before making the investment. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.