Maximum distance for fresh air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bnther44

Dec 17, 2014
Kalamazoo
I want to put my Harman P43 downstairs in the basement, but I'm having problems with window location. The installation guide says I need to be 48" from a window - which is impossible for my house - but that drops down to 12" if I have a fresh air intake. My question is, how long can my fresh air intake line be? I don't want it so long that it doesn't draw air and I have no experience to gauge how far is practical.

Unless doing some wild long run, not much of an issue. Cold air is heavier so if it going down to basement stove should not suffer any ill affects

Mine exits the stove turns 30 deg's right, 12"-"18" straight, 90's up, 7' straight, 3 more 90's (stuff in the way) anothe 7' or 8' of straight theen a couple of dog legs and thru the wall. It's a bit of a mess. I've disconnected it with the stove running and saw no visible change in the fire of the homemade manometer, it took mostly covering the intake to see any change in fire or meter. I used 3" galvanized vent with an increase to 4" thru the wall.

Reactions: bogieb and bnther44
Mine exits the stove turns 30 deg's right, 12"-"18" straight, 90's up, 7' straight, 3 more 90's (stuff in the way) anothe 7' or 8' of straight theen a couple of dog legs and thru the wall. It's a bit of a mess. I've disconnected it with the stove running and saw no visible change in the fire of the homemade manometer, it took mostly covering the intake to see any change in fire or meter. I used 3" galvanized vent with an increase to 4" thru the wall.

That's exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks so much for the reply.

I was going to tell him I don't have an issue with 6' on my P61a - guess I don't need to bother now ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.