Maximum heat out of my stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labrecque

Jan 21, 2008
Bow, new hampshire
I have a Jotul Nordic 100. Due to size constraints and appearance, I have placed it inside my existing brick fireplace. The front of the glass is flush with the front of the fireplace, stove is recessed far back. My question is would I have a better bang for my heat if the stove is out 6 or 7 inches and utilizing the rear flue exit vs. the top flue as it is currently. What I notice is that the bricks inside the fireplace and around the mantle get very, very warm. I don't know if this is good or bad as the brick can also in theory be acting as a heat source when heated or is it wasted energy. Any opinions on this.

If you can put in a low block-off plate you might see a lot more heat from the stove. Right now it sounds like it is heating the upper firebox and damper area and not the house. Can you post a shot of the stove setup? Also, is this an interior or exterior wall fireplace?

+1 on the block off plate!

Anything you can do to move air around the stove will turn it from a radiant space/masonry heater to a convective whole house heater. This could be as simple as a fan blowing cool air at the bottom of the stove and venting hot air at the top. Just be sure the fan is metal construction or if plastic, keep it well spaced away from the stove.

My stove is plumbed through the fireplace but its placed well in front of it. That way I get air flow all around the stove. And the fireplace works well for drying wet boots. Your right the brick heats up and gives off plenty of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.