Maximum Offset of class A for fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown9709

Jan 24, 2009
NW Oregon
Long but detailed introduction:
I'm planning the install of a Quadrafire 7100 (or Heatilator equiv.) into a new construction home (home still in planning phase) The fireplace will be located in the living room in front of the house, with its centerline approx. 9 feet from the midline (and roof ridge) of the house. In order to have the chimney exit the roof at the ridge (admittedly, primarily for aesthetic reasons) I'll need to offset (using a pair of 30 degree elbows) my chimney a horizontal distance of about 9 feet. The 7100 allows the use of SL300 double wall or Simpson duraplus triple wall. The install manual for the fireplace lists a maximum offset length (inclined length, or the hypotenuse line of the triangle) of 20 feet. If my trig doesn't fail me, that allows for a horizontal offset of 10 feet. I haven't found a manual for SL300, but since it is made by Heatilator, who writes the fireplace manual, I assume the same restriction applies. The manual for duraplus allows only a 48" inclined length offset (not nearly enough) The fireplace is on the first floor of a 2 story house and the overall height of the chimney is about 24 feet from top of firebox to chimney cap. The elbows used for the offset will be the only elbows used. The chimney is internal to the house envelope and will be contained in a chase through the first and second floors, as well as above the roof plane. I've checked into my local code, and the only restriction on manufactured chimneys is to install per manufacturers instructions.

So... my questions:

1.) Since I can't use the Duraplus (which I would have preferred), is the SL300 "good enough"?
2.) Am I begging for draft trouble with that much inclined pipe?
3.) Am I misreading the Simpson instructions?
4.) Where can you buy SL300 pipe and accessories?

Thanks!
-Jeff

You buy SL300 where you bought the stove. That offset is very long, will take up alot of room inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.