maximum time at optimum temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szumbrun

Oct 25, 2010
Middletown, MD
I have a napoleon 1400 and the manual says optimum burn occurs when the stove top temp is 500-600degF measured from the stove top beneath the trivet. The longest time I'm able to achieve a steady 600deg Temp is probably about 45min-1hr before it starts to lower in temp. I basically adjust the damper in 4 stages. Full open initially, back down 1/3 at 300deg, 2/3 at 500deg and almost all the way closed at 600deg.

Other than using harder wood that burns longer, is there anything I can do to lengthen the time optimum temp?

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 276
  • trivet.jpg
    trivet.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 275
I think you answered your own question, sounds like you are burning it correctly, bigger loads of more dense wood will help. What kind of wood you have and how big are the loads?

Oldspark, I'm still trying to figure out what type of wood I have. It's a mixture but I know that some of it is scots pine, which is a fast burner. I have to experiment with some of the harder stuff.

szumbrun, you definitely will gain a lot by using the good hardwoods especially if compared to scotch pine. Another thing you can keep in mind is that larger splits will hold the fire longer than small splits. There is also a place for rounds in a wood stove and these will hold fire much longer....but you have to make sure they have extra drying time before they are burned.

Backwoods Savage said:
szumbrun, you definitely will gain a lot by using the good hardwoods especially if compared to scotch pine. Another thing you can keep in mind is that larger splits will hold the fire longer than small splits. There is also a place for rounds in a wood stove and these will hold fire much longer....but you have to make sure they have extra drying time before they are burned.

Good point. I hadn't considered the idea of larger splits. I'll definitely try that out.

Keep in mind also (especially as you move to different harder woods) that the amount of moisture in your wood will affect your heat considerably. With that pine you can get it dry relatively fast compared to wood that is more dense.

Bigger wood and hard wood will translate into longer burn times . . . it sounds like you have the actual burning technique down pat.

Status
Not open for further replies.