Maxx wont start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reg1952

Sep 5, 2012
Guelph Ont.
Cleaned my Enviro Maxx last week and when I went to restart it the auger would cycle once and then when it started to cycle again there was a click and it stopped cycling the auger all together. Played around checking things and it finally started and has worked all week. Started it tonight and same thing. Auger cycles once and then when it cycles again it stop with a click. I by passed the vacumn switch and same thing. Unplugged igniter and same thing, unplugged high heat switch and it doesn't even try to start. By passed the temp switch and the fan starts but auger does same thing. If I unplug the auger the board clicks after the exact same amount of time as when the auger is plugged in. Has my board gone bad? There are no light flashing codes. Just the auger light flashs.

Sounds like the auger Triac on the control board is acting up. Do you have the stove plugged in to a really good surge protector to protect the control board?

Sounds like the auger Triac on the control board is acting up. Do you have the stove plugged in to a really good surge protector to protect the control board?
Yes. Its in a surge protector learned that the hard way 3 years ago in a thunder storm. Have to replace to hole board??

Yes. Its in a surge protector learned that the hard way 3 years ago in a thunder storm. Have to replace to hole board??
Hi
There are differences in surge protectors. The inexpensive ones do not work too well. I always use the black one made by Tripp Lite. This one checks the house wiring for a good ground and correct phase wiring. Tripp Lite makes good power supplies also so The surge protectors work well.
You can also check the voltage and current going to the auger motor. The current is low and so it may not be a good test. I would like to see a digital scope showing a good waveform to have something to compare it with.
The AC output out of a Triac is not a clean 60 cycle waveform with an amplitude of 120 volts. The Triac adds noise so the waveform looks dirty.

Hi
There are differences in surge protectors. The inexpensive ones do not work too well. I always use the black one made by Tripp Lite. This one checks the house wiring for a good ground and correct phase wiring. Tripp Lite makes good power supplies also so The surge protectors work well.
You can also check the voltage and current going to the auger motor. The current is low and so it may not be a good test. I would like to see a digital scope showing a good waveform to have something to compare it with.
The AC output out of a Triac is not a clean 60 cycle waveform with an amplitude of 120 volts. The Triac adds noise so the waveform looks dirty.

I have a whole house surge protector wired into my panel that my electrician install. Then theres a Monster Power bar PRT 410 at the stove.

There are some board services available for pellet stoves ... there is a fellow in Peterborough that may be able to help you out if you've ruled out everything else. Mostly services Whitfields but have the conversation to see if he can help you out. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-heater-humid...i-plus-control-board-repair-service/265783976
Another service and also a source for triacs IIRC http://pelletblowers.com/bbandp/product_info.php/products_id/54

I know some forum members have replaced their own triacs but soldering skills are a must as you can do more damage. Local computer repair/electronics shop may be able to help too.

Last edited:
Hi Reg- are you able to put direct power to auger motor to see if its runs normally? If you can, you'll isolate issue to board quickly. It sounds like a board issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.