May 15th and I'm still burning!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokeyTheBear said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
Where do you get your pellets, SMRF or SIB or one of the local hardware stores?

I've purchased pellets from both SMRF and SIB. I've also purchased from Woodpellets.com and Steep Falls Building Supply.

They were all decent to do business with. Woodpellets.com doesn't always have delivery to this area. At least one of the local normal "fuel" dealers is also delivering to this area, they charge through the nose though, Alternative Heat Source INC in Naples also delivers, a number of the small box hardware stores carry pellets and may deliver, the Feed store (Blue Seal) in South Windham carries pellets and delivers.

There's plenty of pellets in the area and even during the supposed shortage in 2008 there were.

Looks like all the Aubuchons in the area sell them. There's a fresh shipment of what appear to be NEWP at the Raymond location on 302. I've seen MWPs at the North Windham store as well. Any idea on pricing?

Boy after reading these posts i feel good.I've got almost a ton of pellets left.I just hope that's enuff to last till warm weather gets here.

Smokey

I was checking the road report yesterday morning and the Passes over the Cascades all had fresh snow on the roads with more falling.

Just checked the road report and its warmed up into the mid 30's F over the passes now.

Just some late snow for sure.

Snowy

Harman Lover 007 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
Where do you get your pellets, SMRF or SIB or one of the local hardware stores?

I've purchased pellets from both SMRF and SIB. I've also purchased from Woodpellets.com and Steep Falls Building Supply.

They were all decent to do business with. Woodpellets.com doesn't always have delivery to this area. At least one of the local normal "fuel" dealers is also delivering to this area, they charge through the nose though, Alternative Heat Source INC in Naples also delivers, a number of the small box hardware stores carry pellets and may deliver, the Feed store (Blue Seal) in South Windham carries pellets and delivers.

There's plenty of pellets in the area and even during the supposed shortage in 2008 there were.

Looks like all the Aubuchons in the area sell them. There's a fresh shipment of what appear to be NEWP at the Raymond location on 302. I've seen MWPs at the North Windham store as well. Any idea on pricing?

No idea on the current prices as they likely have gone up since I did a price check and I know for a fact that SIB did.

I didn't even get to hear the pitch from Woodpellets.com who were calling around, I told Pat I was all set for the coming winter.

Snowy Rivers said:
Smokey

I was checking the road report yesterday morning and the Passes over the Cascades all had fresh snow on the roads with more falling.

Just checked the road report and its warmed up into the mid 30's F over the passes now.

Just some late snow for sure.

Snowy

The large expected snowfall wasn't in your area much further south around Lodgepole.

Im burning the stove as I type. 3rd day of rain, Days in the 50's, touched 49 last night, inside was down to 64, so i lit her up.

After about 3 weeks of not burning, started it up this weekend for a few hours. Bought 4 bags of Hamer's today to get me through the week, and hopefully to warmer weather.

ducker said:
add me as another who have been burning on and off through these cold, raw, rainy nights.

Gets the chill out as well as the moisture.

Same here! Getting nearly as sick about this rain as I was the snow! Light rain today. Had to mow the grass before it was to a point I would have to hire some sheep in. Have hundreds of tulips both they won't open in the rain. Had to run a fan in the green house to keep the fugus/mold off the seedlings. At least with all the rain, we are getting through the full of the moon without a frost.

I thought we were done, Came home to a damp chilly 66ºF in the house tonight. Rather chilly for even me. Loaded some into the hopper and snapped the stat back on! It will be warm in a bit! :)

64 in here now, using the 50" plasma tv "heater" to heat my house....NO Pellet NOWAY!!

Fired my stove up also. Kind of damp and dreary. 54 outside and raining. I am glad I did not clean out the stove, almost did it last weekend. Dried up the air nicely + kept the wife happy. :)

I have built a fire in the fireplace the last couple nights because I cleaned the Stoves last weekend. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/75103/
The Wife just told me what a terrible idea that was . She is only 7 days away from delivering our baby girl (Due May 25th, Yikes). Was hoping it wouldn't be this cold still.... Well.. I may ruin all of that hard work. She is cold and I cant resist the ambiance of the Quad burning upstairs... I have the new Easy Heat pellets I got from Eric at Kinsman Stoves that I have Been Dying To TEST (Smell Great/Pine??).... Would start a fire in the fireplace. But wont get good heat from a 2 hr fire. Needs to be at least a 5-6 hr burn to get the house to 74. Its 68 inside now , which is 6 degrees below our "Normal" temp.... Only 45 outside and dropping. . . . . I will not turn on the Propane Monster. Have not run our Furnace "Overnight" in 3 yrs... Just a Simple test fire in the Fall (Make sure it works) and in the Spring. What to do...... What to do????? 9 tons of Pellets to burn....... Or LP???

Oh well.. Whats another 15 hrs of cleaning, polishing, and painting????............

52º and raining heavily. Will be running the stove soon to take the chill off. Glad I didn't do my spring cleaning yet! Only two bags left - I find myself nursing them along, as I refuse to buy more this season! (I may break down and get some, though….)

First harvest of the season today, rhubarb heading to the freezer for use with some strawberries the end of June first of July. Somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds worth. New patch started in October 2008, that was split up and transplanted late last spring. First light picking.

Now should I cut the flower heads off of my horseradish?

The boss transplanted some turnip today.

So again what's this burning stuff all about?

I broke down and bought some Warm Front pellets, as much to try them as to chase the damp chill out of here.

Since I haven't cleaned the stove yet, we are getting the wet ashes smell because of the rain and humidity we've had for a week. Firing up the stove cures that, too.

Rhubarb? Ours is barely out of the ground. You must be living in a different New England than we are!!! :coolsmile:

SmokeyTheBear said:
First harvest of the season today, rhubarb heading to the freezer for use with some strawberries the end of June first of July. Somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds worth. New patch started in October 2008, that was split up and transplanted late last spring. First light picking.

Smokey how are the black flies!

friend of mine used to wear a hard hat with sticky stuff on it and he looked like a bug magnet.

Father in law used to wear a hard hat with motor oil smeared on it. Black flies would land and stick.

Still burning here although we shut it off most of the daytime hours and let it warm the house in the AM.

Well, I have to eat my words (pun intended) about the rhubarb. Seems like the rain the past few days has caused it to grow like crazy. Ours is just about ready to cut. We'll cut some this weekend. Temp in the 70's today - just like it was spring!

Fish On said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Smokey how are the black flies!

friend of mine used to wear a hard hat with sticky stuff on it and he looked like a bug magnet.

The flies are around, but they tend to leave me alone, I guess they consider me too tough. They really go for the boss though.

At this time they aren't that bad, between a bit of a breeze and rain they don't get much of a chance.

I expect them to be downright awful the first sunny day without a breeze. The trout in the brook and pond are cleaning up on the latest hatch. I haven't seen our resident bats the last week or so (conditions haven't been the best), but they do a pretty good job of eat the nasties as well.

heat seeker said:
Well, I have to eat my words (pun intended) about the rhubarb. Seems like the rain the past few days has caused it to grow like crazy. Ours is just about ready to cut. We'll cut some this weekend. Temp in the 70's today - just like it was spring!

Once it really gets started it just goes poof, instant 'barb overload.

Got to figure out what to do with the horseradish and since this is its first growing season since it was planted I don't want to set it back by letting it go to flower to soon. You harvest the root so the goal is encourage root growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.