Maybe going to a bigger stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f3cbboy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
rockland county, NY
Hi - I have a F3CB and looking into a Castine. If i get a bigger wood stove, i wont burn more wood to heat the same house will I? I would just be loading more wood at a time but less often right? Thanks

I started out the same way. The F3CB was replaced by the Castine. Yes, I did used more wood, maybe 1/2 cord more. Part of that was because I had also moved the stove to a more central location in the house which meant I was heating more cubic footage more comfortably. And I was striving for overnight burns (with softwood) which simply wasn't possible with the F3CB.

Thanks. I am right there now, not being able to get useful overnight burns. I have coals in the morning to lite a fire, but not putting out useful heat all night. i am looking to replace in the exact same location, not the best but what i got, a corner install in my living room. I think I just need more firebox. thanks again

Definitely. Bigger stove you will use more wood but also be warmer.

I would like to add that with the Rangeley with a 2.6 cu ft firebox i have gotten 9 to 11 hr burns.I looked at both of the stoves you're talking and am so glad i went with this stove.I can't picture all night burns with the Castine without having to get up and load it early morn.BeGreen has 1 and would know better than i but i would seriously look into maybe bigger than the Castine.I don't have much but coals left in the morning but enough to start from easily and a house in the 70 degree range.I am still tweeking but learning the stove still.

On the other hand Bub, our firebox is much smaller, like 2.2 and we have no problem with overnight burns. Firebox size tells only part of the story.

Ya my wood has only been seasoned since spring and with the big splits i have i can't load the stove like i want to.Just want to make sure he chooses right.Thanks for filling us in.Good to know.You know more about this stuff than i do obviously.Willing to let a few secrets go?

No secrets around here Bub. Willing to share with all but don't know it all.

The Castine may fit the bill for you. I moved up from the F-100, and yes fuel consumption went up. I would expect the same going up in stove size.

There is buzz around that Woodstock is possibly looking at making a stove smaller than the Fireview. I would love to upsize to but I have fireplace opening limitations. I'd really like a cat stove but the FV is a bit too large and I need front load. I will wait patiently and see what happens.

Backwoods Savage said:
No secrets around here Bub.

I assume you mean other than dry wood and that magical glowing device in your stove that lets you deliver the potential btus at the rate you desire?

Buy a cat stove..you will thank me later..lol.
BTW..bigger is better!

SolarAndWood said:
Backwoods Savage said:
No secrets around here Bub.

I assume you mean other than dry wood and that magical glowing device in your stove that lets you deliver the potential btus at the rate you desire?

And the magical poker that amazes Mrs. Backwoods Savage. . . . ;)

I thought that was dry wood. %-P

Fishingpol, Woodstock already has a stove smaller than the Fireview: the Keystone/Palladian. :p But yeah, still requires ~ 27" lintel for the flue. I believe the buzz was about a small boxwood style stove. Should be easy for them. . .I think their existing stoves are like boxwoods turned sideways. I would be surprised to see any more new stoves from them any time soon though. They seem to have their hands full ATM.

Dang. Guys are at me again! I'll still wish you all a Merry Christmas.

F3CBboy, w00d jokes aside, Dennis' secret is the catalytic combustor in his stove. If you want to burn larger loads of wood without necessarily getting more BTU/hr, a cat stove is the ticket. Powered by advanced alien technology, BK's represent technological perfection, of course, but with the very agressive pricing Woodstock is currently running, you could get a Keystone for probably about the same price as a Castine. Of course, brand loyalty is understandable. :) If you want to stay with Jotul, +1 on Bub's advice to look at the Rangeley or the Oslo for overnight burns. I've read that the Castine has some irregularities in the firebox shape that make it's wood capacity lower than one might think.

Den, my lintel is just a smidge over 28". I need a front load as current stove is 1/2 into a fireplace opening.

I'd agree that the Castine is just a slight upsize from the F3. I was at a local Jotul dealer a few weeks ago and looking at the Castine, it was just a little taller and wider. The burn time is one hour longer according to the specs (I know these are general burn times). It seems like little gain. I'd go with an Oslo with a deeper firebox and more wood capacity. Castine looks like it would hold 1 more split than the F3, although 20" length.

fishingpol said:
Den, my lintel is just a smidge over 28". I need a front load as current stove is 1/2 into a fireplace opening.

Do you have a raised hearth in front of that fireplace? If so a Woodstock only has an 8" front clearance and that is straight out or vertical. If your hearth is 8" high you could place the stove right out on the edge and get it further out of the fireplace which would also give you better heat.

No, slate, level with existing wood floor. My fireplace is built out into the room with a three sided mantel, I really need to keep it pasrtly in the firebox. I'm really fine with my set up as it is. I just wish Jotul or Woodstock had a small cat stove just bit bigger than Hearthstone Tribute... I would like longer burn times too.

Any idea on how many sgf this poster is trying to heat? My Castine will burn overnight without any issues. I'm tinking maybe my house is too big.2200sqf. The next stove will be bigger but I can't kill this 10 year old little engine that could stove. TY.

Backwoods Savage said:

Just to be clear, where Jake went was not where I was going with that...

adrpga498 said:
Any idea on how many sgf this poster is trying to heat? My Castine will burn overnight without any issues. I'm tinking maybe my house is too big.2200sqf. The next stove will be bigger but I can't kill this 10 year old little engine that could stove. TY.
1500 SqFt abouy 750 per floor. 110 yr o;d ballon framed house. All i could put in the walls was R-15 cause it is framed out of 2X4's. (attic also)

SolarAndWood said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Just to be clear, where Jake went was not where I was going with that...

Dennis still likes me . . . even if I split my wood wrong and talk funny.

Bub381 said:
Not to mention ur a Mainah.

Well yeah, there's that too . . . but I think my bribe at the Woodstock Open House of Moxie and needhams to Dennis may have worked to keep him as a friend for a little bit longer. I'm not above bribing people to be my friend. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.