Maybe Next Weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
These two ironwood are down the hill from the beech I grabbed today. The first two pics are the same tree, part of the top is broken off so it's starting to rot, the last two pics are the second ironwood.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6129-001.JPG
    100_6129-001.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_6130-001.JPG
    100_6130-001.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_6131-001.JPG
    100_6131-001.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_6132-001.JPG
    100_6132-001.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 206
Zap, is ironwood blue beach?

Zap, is ironwood blue beach?
I'm glad you mentioned blue beech, I think we have some so next week I'l get some pics. They call it musclewood.

zap

I'm glad you mentioned blue beech, I think we have some so next week I'l get some pics. They call it musclewood.

zap

Cool, I'll look for them. We have Old Ironsides in the Charlestown Naval Yard and the wood that was used to make it was some sort of beech If I remember correctly.

I didnt know until I did some research on ironwood that it was real good wood to burn. I've seen them before but thought it was some kind of
pine or soft wood lol. But you live and learn I guess. Good for you zap I know there's a felled tree of ironwood that I need to still get from people I know
doing that prob tomorrow oh yeah get it while you can.....

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Thats good work for next weekend. Hey, was wondering, unless you know the land like the back of your chainsaw, how do you get back to future cuts? Gps, trail markers? Looks like cooler temps to work in next weekend, but a bit far off to know for sure. Be well

Ps- on my phone, looks like your avatar is upside down.

Thats good work for next weekend. Hey, was wondering, unless you know the land like the back of your chainsaw, how do you get back to future cuts? Gps, trail markers? Looks like cooler temps to work in next weekend, but a bit far off to know for sure. Be well

Ps- on my phone, looks like your avatar is upside down.
My Avatar, yes it is, just screwing around. We have trails that run through our property to every hill so when we go for a ride we look for downed trees or dead, take a picture just for the record, post it five or six times then finally grab it. ::P

If I need a GPS, I'm done cutting. ;)
zap

There are two northeastern trees called Ironwood. There is the Hop Hornbeam that Zap is going to cut, and another Ironwood with smooth bark that is also called Blue Beech. I always though Old Ironsides was made of White Oak or Live Oak. I can't imagine building a ship out of Blue Beech/ironwood because they don't get very large.

Reactions: zap
Zap, we have some of that blue beech here but not much size to it. Great firewood though.

Zap, we have some of that blue beech here but not much size to it. Great firewood though.
The blue beech seems to grow in clumps up in this area, what is the seasoning time for blue beech?

zap

That is also how it grows here. Should be good in a year.

That ironwood is heavy zap. I cut some last year and took a piece for "
show n tell" at work. Guys couldn't believe the weight of a smaller piece.
How about those Giants zap? :p

That ironwood is heavy zap. I cut some last year and took a piece for "
show n tell" at work. Guys couldn't believe the weight of a smaller piece.
How about those Giants zap? :p
The ironwood is some nice btu's, most of the ironwood I cut since 2008 goes to my neighbor. You never can tell how the Giants are going to play. I'm watching more baseball games, football can wait.

Yankees - 6
Baltimore - 3

Zap

Reds 2 games to 0 over San Fran
Are you calling American Hornbeam blue beech ? I have a fair amount but like everyone else, no bigger than a dogwood

No, blue beech is different, they call it musclewood too.

zap

Please tell me your not a Yankee lover zap? There's a little room left on the Tiger bandwagon if you care to join? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.