McCulloch 605 tune

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedriver

Feb 12, 2014
Nelson township Ohio
I have an old McCulloch 605 my neighbor gave me 5 years ago and was sitting for years before that.. due to someone stealing my old 20" Craftsman, that I really liked. I need to get the 605 running. I took it all apart cleaned, checked, fixed and, I got it running. can anyone tell me a good starting point to set the high and slow speed carb screws and then the best way to get a good tune. and is turning the screws in or out more fuel . thanks for any help .

My PM 610 has a Zama C2S - yours is probably similar. The TAS/Idle screw is the loner one - slotted - In/CW is faster idle. H & L screws are slotted - Out/CCW is more fuel/richer. A good starting point is TAS in most of the way to get it started and L & H screws out from LIGHTLY seated 1.25-1.5 turns CCW.

40:1 is fine with new JASO FD oil.
Kinda bulky, eh? It's like grabbing your push mower by the deck and using the handle as the guide bar. It's nicknamed "McCinderblock".

40:1 is fine with new JASO FD oil.
Kinda bulky, eh? It's like grabbing your push mower by the deck and using the handle as the guide bar. It's nicknamed "McCinderblock".
McCinderblock, that's funny and about correct. I'm looking for a new saw . want a real good one . plenty of power, reliable, durable , well built , 20" , user friendly. I would like to stay away from the cheaper versions of the good saws. spending less $$ but get less saw. if ya know what I mean. any thoughts ?? depending on price maybe that's all I can afford.

Probably just nostalgia but I miss my Pro Mac 610. Cut a whole bunch of wood with that sucker. It caught itself and me on fire in the woods in 1990. Probably a busted fuel line. After I rolled and put out my shirt I stood behind a tree and watched it melt into a puddle. I think the manual is still in the garage if you want me to scan any sections for ya.

Reactions: dougand3
You have a good heart, BB....if something catches me on fire, I ain't gonna miss it. LOL.

Buying new - Echo CS-590 = $400
Buying used - Husky 55, 353, 359 = $100-$200 but may need some work.

You have a good heart, BB....if something catches me on fire, I ain't gonna miss it. LOL.

Buying new - Echo CS-590 = $400
Buying used - Husky 55, 353, 359 = $100-$200 but may need some work.
Thanks for the recommendations. I want new so, I drive truck for a living and one of my customers is an Echo dealer. so, I stopped in with the truck and checked out the CS-590 . it is a real serious saw for a good price $400. and Drew ,the young man I usually talk to for deliveries and chain sharpening came over . I asked him a bunch of questions, got solid answers as usual and, he said 20% of the $400 for me. and I think I've got a really good saw for a really great price. I am confident I will be very pleased with it . Echo seems to be top shelf stuff. thanks a bunch

Wow, 590 for $350 after tax is a smoking deal. Good job.

It was the one that a small tree fell on the bar and drove it running into my left leg. I guess old age makes ya nostalgic and forgetful about old saws just like I hear it does about ex-wives. ;lol

You are gonna love that Echo.

Wow, 590 for $350 after tax is a smoking deal. Good job.
Yes it is . after learning about what exactly the 590 was all about and , getting my hands on it. I thought $400 was a good price. then Drew said they were selling for $470 and Echo dropped the price. so to get it for $320 + tax , I was very appreciative. and ya I do believe I'm really gonna love it BB. Also the instructions on the tune for the 605 was spot on and, helpful. I just finished this evening, getting that old McCinderblock 605 running great . thanks guys :)

well, now that I have my 590 and lovin it . I let a friend use it to make a few cuts when his saw was out of gas and he pinched the bar dropped the tree the wrong way and bent the crap out of the bar.:confused:. the rest of the saw is fine. where is the best place ( maybe online ) short of a dealer to get good replacement parts ( new bar ) at a good price ??

where is the best place ( maybe online ) short of a dealer to get good replacement parts ( new bar ) at a good price ??

Wouldn't that be your friends problem? Just asking.;)

Reactions: Oldman47
Wouldn't that be your friends problem? Just asking.;)
he was one of 4 friends that came with me to my Uncle Buddy's to help clear a bunch of dead ash trees, fallen, standing, and a few leaners. they all really busted a$$ all day to help my Uncle and would do it again if I asked so, I count my blessings and I'm not worried to much about a bar. it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.