McCulloch Pro Mac 850 information

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
I'm seeing a few of these larger sized saws (not just the 850) on ebay. They seem to be pretty large, pretty old, and pretty cheap. none of those factors scare me, but I am wondering what size bars I can fit on them. I can't get into arboristsite from work, but i'm sure the information is there somewhere. Baileys website looks like they have a 36" bar that will fit, but nothing larger.

I really need some solution for when I come across a BAT, cause I don't have a BAS. i've still got that Oak tree down at grandpas and I am completely clueless as to haw I can get through it. I'm not gonna cut everything with this big saw, but it would still be fun to play with a 36"+ bar every once in a while. I suppose it could be used for milling if I get bored and need a new hobby, but for now an old saw for very occasional use is the plan.

PS. i'm not in the mood for everyone to spend my money in umpteen different ways on a new 880 or the like. I just wanna know what sized bar I can get at Baileys to fit on this saw WITHOUT modification and without oiler issues.

82 cc saw 36in. would be max

thanks. 82cc seems like I should be able to pull more than that. 36 would do, but bigger=funner. (TWSS)

Danno77 said:
thanks. 82cc seems like I should be able to pull more than that. 36 would do, but bigger=funner. (TWSS)

82 cc saw 32in. more like it but what the heck...and its a old 82cc saw not going to perform like a new 82cc saw

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

82 cc saw 32in. more like it but what the heck...and its a old 82cc saw not going to perform like a new 82cc saw
yeah, you're right. The more i think about it the less I think it should run such a large bar. my 028 is 47cc and I run a 20 on it and feel that I'm maxed out on a semi-chisel. 47 is 57.3% of 82, so 20" is 57.3% of 34" about.

I would think by the time you got it started you would be worn out let a loan cut with it.

smokinjay said:
I would think by the time you got it started you would be worn out let a loan cut with it.
I wonder if i could start it like I do my push mower. I yanked the recoil off of it and i stand right on the deck of the thing with my power drill (I use a squared off bolt just big enough to fit into the extension) and start it right with the flywheel bolt. The fun part is when the socket and extension go flying. Danger...I mean Stupid... is my middle name.

Status
Not open for further replies.