McCulloch Super 250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
just acquired ANOTHER saw. got it for 35 bucks on This Sppon River Scenic Drive thing in my area. Pretty sure you could google that. I'll post a pic as soon as possible, but currently submitting this post from my phone.

what are the signs of the illness? cough, cough, cough...

yep, that's her...

north of 60 said:
Thats going to pull that chain like a tractor and smoke like a worn diesel. Its gonna be fun to load her up I bet.
whoa, slow down...I gotta see if it even runs. the thing doesn't look so pretty, lol. feels like good compression, but I need a chance to start it before I get too excited...

IF it runs, then I'm gonna order a new chain for the Mac-15 and get the longest bar I think this can pull. I've had some emails with baileysonline and have discovered that a husky bar can be slightly modified to fit these older mac saws with .404pitch .063gauge... What do you think? 36" for occasional cutting?

Just being positive for ya. I hope it goes well, I know having that extra bit of arsenal will open a few more doors of opportunity to take wood no one else can deal with. Even though it may not be to often. Still another one to add to your signature. :)
I rarely use my 272, but when I need it I got it and it wastes no time.

not bad for 35 bucks. Doesn't run well with filter on it. I think a good cleaning will take care of that.

’bert said:
sounds a bit on the fat side (too much fuel), but then again I am a long way away.
You may be right, but that was it running without the air filter on it. it's all cleaned up now, so tomorrow I'll give it another go and then fine tune it. I wasn't smelling any unburnt fuel, but I'd think without the filter I'd be running a little lean.

The manual oiler button is frozen in place, so I can't cut with the saw yet.

Danno77 said:

On a side note, when you do get everything in running order - make sure you use that oiler - often. Real often.

Jags said:
Danno77 said:

On a side note, when you do get everything in running order - make sure you use that oiler - often. Real often.
I'm finding that it's an automatic oiler with a Manual Override, meaning that I can give 'er an extra squirt of oil when necessary.

Danno77 said:
Jags said:
Danno77 said:

I'm finding that it's an automatic oiler with a Manual Override, meaning that I can give 'er an extra squirt of oil when necessary.

Thats cool. I have an OLD dog and the thumb oiler is it. I kinda learned the hard way that MY idea of the right amount and ITS idea of the right amount was two different things. Lesson learned. I wouldn't even consider running that old dog again unless I needed to cut railroad ties. :lol:

Jags said:
Danno77 said:
Jags said:
Danno77 said:

Thats cool. I have an OLD dog and the thumb oiler is it. I kinda learned the hard way that MY idea of the right amount and ITS idea of the right amount was two different things. Lesson learned. I wouldn't even consider running that old dog again unless I needed to cut railroad ties. :lol:
My electric saw has a manual (so does Mac15) and when I'd cut quite a bit with that I'd wake up the next day with a really sore hand (right where all the thumb muscle is). This saw will definitely be interesting to use. It's 87cc, but the rpms are something like half of a modern saw. can't wait to get it going in some wood.

This is my old dog. Has a similar weight to a full pony keg of beer, low rpm but she chews. Rated at 4.6 hp.
This is a representative pic, not my actual saw.

Attachments

• bobcat.jpg
    bobcat.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 272
Status
Not open for further replies.