Measure Flue Gas Temp on an Insert - Anyone got an idea/product?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oconnor

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
I am looking into ways to measure the temp in my flue after just installing my Jotul Insert. Of course, I can't just install a probe thermometer, because it would be behind the cast iron surround.

I have seen some mention on here of "laser thermometers", but would like a more permanent install, and while a magnet mount would fit stovetop, It doesn't respond as fast as the flue temp does.

I am thinking there must be some sort of remote electric unit I could install to comunicate the temp to me. I am thinking that of all the high heat electric sensors out there in various industries, I should be able to fit one of them to the flue, and get some useful info back. Perhaps even an O2 sensor (like in a car exhaust system), while not a temp sensor, might give me some info on combustion completeness, which is after all, what I am truly interested in.

Or, maybe I am as obsessive as my lovely wife says I am, and should just enjoy the pretty flames.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Get it good and hot, put a magnetic thermometer on it high on the unit where it produces heat, thats your high point. Then burn baby burn!!!

rfalk said:
Why not an infrared thermometer, such as one of these? they are less than $100 or are you interested in the temp inside the flue? Wouldn't it be about the same as the surface?

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/fluke/thermometers/62.htm

Being an insert, the only surface I have is, well, inserted, and therefore not exposed.

The idea of an electric thermometer that will squawk at me during an overtemp appeals to me. Have a temp alarm here that I had on my old stove pipe, but it won't work on the insert. The surface temp of the stove is hotter than singlewall pipe, and doesn't respond as quickly as the flue gas temp does.

I'm just surprised I can't buy one of these rigs of the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.