1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

measuring chimney for lining

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Csmith, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Csmith

Csmith New Member

The best I can come up with is putting a weight on a string and dropping it down the chimney, having someone steady it where the stove hookup would be and then marking/cutting the string and measuring it. Is there a better way?

thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    The string method works. I've used fiberglass brush rods as well. How about a rigid tape measure?
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Yes that works. But I would still cut it longer. First I would cut slits at one end bent them in and duct tape a cone shape. That's your leading edge down once in place. I make a clean cut removing the cone section witha thin metal cutting wheel in a 4" grinder Remember you can pull back and forth to make your final cut up top. You want to advoid the situation I cut it too short. Always better to have it longer and make the final cut when all variables are solved
  4. saichele

saichele Minister of Fire

Definitely do the final cut in place, either at the top or the bottom.

If you're measuring for ordering, string or tape work great. I usually add about a foot (on a 2-story) to make sure there's enough - better to be too long than too short.

Steve
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I walked the semi-circle around the fireplace for two days looking at the stove, then looking at that two feet of liner hanging down thinking "cut it off too short and there goes three hundred in the toliet".

Finally one morning with the coffee brewing and in my bathrobe I just walked in there and cut the damn thing.

Perfect fit.
  6. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

No spilled coffee on the keyboard? no change in underware, like the Nike commercial just do it?

Read fast it will be d.gone tomorrow
  7. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Heck Elk. Don't get parinoid. The insulation post just got moved. Not killed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.